Non-Bambu filament problems

I need some help. I just got my first printer last Tuesday and so far I have been printing for pretty much 24 hours a day since I have gotten it. I have been using the bambu pla with no problems. However, I have purchased some overture pla (glow in the dark, marble, silk, and others) as well as 1 reel of sunsenkj. The problem I am having is that anytime I select a print and try to print with any of these filaments, they will not adhere to to the bed properly, or they will just string up on the nozzle. I have gone in and set the temps and flow rates based on the information given on the reel (at least I have entered it into the only place I have found under the filament settings in the prepare tab) and i have issues. I have increased the bed temp to 60° C, as well as increased the nozzle temp to 220° C. This improved the results, but after the 3rd layer it just riped the print off the bed and jammed everything up.

Today I decided to try it again with a plain black overture pla, and the first attempt it did fine until it was finishing up the last of layer 1 and then it ripped off the bed again. The second attempt I increased the bed temp to 65° C and slowed the print speed down to 50% and so far it seems to be working and is currently on layer 18. Anyone have any experience with using overture on their P1S and have any advice for me to get this filament to print at speeds higher than 50% without failure?

I’ve used Overture PLA with my X1C. I get acceptable results using the Generic PLA preset, but I get somewhat better results after calibrating the filament settings with OrcaSlicer. The optimum settings vary slightly with color, but I have not found it necessary to modify speeds or bed temperature.

It sounds like your plate is in need of a thorough cleaning in warm water with a grease-cutting dish detergent. Rinse it well, dry with a clean towel, and DO NOT touch the print surface. Oil from fingerprints will prevent adhesion. Some plate types require glue to improve adhesion and release - Bambu recommends glue for most plates.

1 Like

I am using the textured plate that came with the P1S Combo. I did have my wife clean the plate off with some IPA before she left for the store, and that could be what is helping the adhesion. After this print finishes, I will try setting it to generic pla over the overture pla setting and try it at normal speed and see if that helps. Thanks for the info.

Wiping with IPA can remove oils, but unless you use a lot of IPA and frequently turn the wiping towel you may only dilute the oils, some of which can remain on the plate when the alcohol evaporates. IPA certainly helps, but if you still have adhesion problems, detergent and a thorough rinse are a more certain solution, especially with the nooks and crannies on the textured plate. I usually use a small nylon brush to scrub that one.

I have no reason to think there is anything wrong with the Overture PLA preset. I started with the Generic preset because Studio/OrcaSlicer did not offer the Overture option at the time.

1 Like

Based on my experience, diligently cleaning the stock plate after each print is essential, yet it may still occasionally lead to issues. A transformative solution for me has been the acquisition of a generic golden textured PEI plate from AliExpress. This plate has significantly enhanced bed adhesion while requiring minimal cleaning efforts.

Regarding stringing, it could stem from moisture in your filament, a concern that affects even brand-new spools, particularly those wound on cardboard. I recommend drying the spool for a few hours to observe any improvements in print quality before and after this process.

I did order a dryer today which will arrive tomorrow. I tried running a calibration on the printer using the overture, and it all just spaghettified on to the nozzle and none of it stuck to the bed. I am about to request my money back from the seller and never use anything other than bambu. This has been a frustrating experience for me, and it seems nobody else is really having the same issues with overture as I am.

Which calibration have you performed?
Have you tested the Bambu Lab Filament since the issue began? If not, please do so. This step is essential to verify whether the issue lies with the Overture filament.

I have only tried the flow dynamics calibration in the Bambu Studio app. I am currently running a quick print using the Bambu filament that I have loaded in the AMS sitting next to the Overture that I am struggling with. will update with the results of the print once its done.

Im going o have to wait for my dryer to show up tomorrow and let the filament sit in it for at least overnight and see if it gets better. This is a fidget spinner being made from the Bambu Sparkle and is being printer at ludicrous speed with no issues.

I strongly advise conducting both the Pressure Advance Callibration and Temp Tower Test using Orcaslicer, a derived software from Bambu Studio. In particular, the Pressure Advance Calibration has proven immensely beneficial to me recently, and it’s remarkably straightforward and quick to perform. I typically opt for the line test method, which has yielded excellent results.

I just installed orca slicer on my laptop and just got shits and giggles I decided to try printing s fidget spinner out of the Overture and

As you can see it is coming out really nice. My wife went and checked the print and she says it looks really good in person. So there is a setting somewhere in Bambu Studio that is causing the print to not work with the filament.

1 Like

There’s now also a “fan tower” to aid in calibrating your fan speed. Same idea as a temperature tower, but for tuning your part cooling fan speed to any particular filament.

1 Like