Optimal Speed Settings For Quality?

Hello to everyone

I have been extremely impressed with the “out of the box” results of the X1Carbon. I’m now in the stage where I’m trying to adjust and dial in the available settings to maximize the quality vs speed ratio. I mostly print small detailed signs and data tags (think of business cards with embossed raised letters and logos). I have installed the 0.2mm nozzle due to my small/thin line widths.

My goal is to achieve the quality of my 0.2mm nozzle prints on my Prusa mk3 but with the new X1 carbon. My main issue is the excess blobs of filament in between the letters and at the edges of the letters and logos.

Has anyone been able to improve the quality of their prints by slowing down the speed of the printer or changing any other setting that would affect small detailed objects?

Thank you very much for your help it is greatly appreciated

1 Like

I have! I just tried “silent mode” today. It’s nowhere near silent but it’s 50% the speed of “normal” or “standard” or whatever the default speed is. Print quality and adhesion and everything else it MARKEDLY improved. Fast is nice but in a month you won’t remember fast. Quality is worth the wait. Go for the loudish “silent” mode :wink:

2 Likes

For Color prints increasing prime tower volume by 2x default helps. In your speed settings lower acceleration. If you use model parts for colour you can get the printer to slow down right after changing colour. Put a draft shield around your model for colour change, otherwise the prime tower mess can destroy your print, and speed for prime tower is way too fast and no speed overrides atm

If you touch the nozzle (cleaning) rerun calibration

1 Like

Here is an example of what I’m printing and the stringing and blobing I’m experiencing

1 Like

Hello makers!

I’m looking to modify the speed settings in bambuslicer to reproduce the “Silent” mode of printing. I normally don’t care about time to completion and would like to prioritize quality and quiet operation.

It’s been pointed out both in these forums and by Bambu support that these are the settings to modify:

Since the “Silent” mode shows 50% in the UI, I tried cutting the highlighted settings in half and the results were not the same as Silent mode.

In the end, I don’t really care about Silent mode specifically, I just know it’s the highest quality I’ve been able to get out of this printer so far, but if we can do even better by customizing the settings, then I would be a happy camper!

Your input is appreciated.

1 Like

Further down the list you’ll see “acceleration”. Those are the things you want to cut in half. It’s the energy that goes in to speeding up and slowing down the printhead that makes the noise, not the high speed. Reducing the accelerations reduces the “impulse” when acceleration occurs and that makes it quieter.

Because acceleration will be lower, unless you have a very long straight run as part of your print, the speed will come down automatically. Because if you accelerate less hard you don’t get to as high a speed before you need to start slowing down.

4 Likes

@RocketSled , thank you for your reply. Apologies I didn’t get back to you in such a long time.

With the advent of the motor noise cancellation FW release, this is less of an issue. But what I found was, with the motors quiet, I hear a lot more parts of the machine rattling. Reducing acceleration a bit reduces that a lot. So the latest FW in combination with lowered accelerations results in a machine where all you can hear are the belts and bearings (and Z, since that axis isn’t noise cancelled).

2 Likes

I have been looking forward to the firmware update for the X1C, I wasn’t aware that the noise canceling feature was released.

Thanks for letting me know @RocketSled ! I’m going to update now and hear what this is all about :slight_smile:

Thanks for the pro tips on noise canceling and reduced acceleration being the perfect combo! Any chance you could share the acceleration settings you use to achieve your preferred noise level?

It would be helpful for me to have a starting point and then fine tune from there as I’m still getting myself oriented with 3D printing. Thanks!