Overture Silk PLA causing clogs

Okay. Every time I use Overture Silk PLA I am getting partial nozzle clogs if I am lucky, or total jams. I have tried upping the temperature by 10 degrees (from 220 to 230), dropping the max volumetric speed to 7.5mm/s (down from 12), the retraction length to 0.3mm, and with each change the problem gets worse not better.

I’ll try to print a couple of things with the Bambu PLA profile, but I’m not sure how many more times I can take the extruder apart and retain my sanity.

1 Like

I have been using Overture Silk PLA (Gold) with no problems for months. I have never had a clog. I read that clogs can be counterintuitive, they happen if you are running too hot. The nozzle softens the filament before it enters the nozzle and then causes the clog. I checked my settings i use and i run with a max nozzle temp of 220 . My print settings are to print all layers at that temp. My max volumetric is set at 7.5. I suggest monitoring what the nozzle temp is is actually doing when it is printing that filament. i have had settings do unexpected things because of the way they have the AMS set in device screen and the Prepare screen… Also, i generally go with the Generic settings if unsure of what is Going on. The Bambu is probably well tuned for their specific filament, but i assume the Generic is a safeer range for success.

I have the same problem - caused by the silk filament swelling in the extruder, probably due to heat creep. I’ve not spent much time trying to tune it out - instead I largely avoid printing with silk PLA (especially during the summer), and leave the printer door open when I do!