P1P to P1S upgrade tips

I didn’t put the printer on it’s front but if I had to do it again I probably would.
I think the upgrade is well worth it if you want to try printing with different materials but if you just stick to pla it won’t change your life.
He chamber fan is noisy and seems to go at 100% all the time. Apart from that it looks great.
Fyi Bambu support has been amazing. Unlike reality who took months to replace a broken part

It is noticeably louder, but not obnoxiously so, at least to me. I’m currently looking for the GCode to limit the max speed of the chamber fan because below 60% (which you can adjust to at any time) it’s almost completely in the background and not noticeable. If I can’t find a GCode entry, I might put a buck converter and a 12v fan back in to drop the fan speed.

As far as the MC fan, I can’t imagine doing it any other way. Lay the thing on its face and take care of it.

I find it actually quite amazing that they were able to package everything for $150. That seems like a very reasonable cost for the contents of the kit. Personally, I just feel like the kit completes to printer. Never liked the bare frame look on a $700 printer.

It does complete the package nicely!

This is a long but useful video on the upgrade process on youtube. It was done live so he came across many of the issues you are likely to encounter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0mx7buMTXI&list=TLPQMjMxMDIwMjM2BR7b1km5lg&index=2
(delete the quotes)

Thanks everyone, I really enjoyed the reading.
I’m using as my main FDM printer Trodoon with all available upgrades, 7" screen, klipper of course, it’s far more advanced compared to X1 (and yes I can even print metal with it but everything single coloured or 2 colours and if I need more I have to unless I deploy Palette). I got there bltouch, and proximity sensor, and …quite frankly I’m not here to talk about Vivedino printers.

My question is I looked all over support etc on bamboo labs and I can’t find a word about conversion of my P1S to X1. How much is the total cost $ and where can I find some plans ? I didn’t look at all the topics yet, but I will do so. I apologize for disturbing you, and I hope I didn’t interrupt this thread with my questions.

Live Long and Prosper.

If you are able to convert your P1S to th X1 which I doubt as there are enough differences in the circuitry that we can even add the X1 touch screen to our P1S upgrade, it would not be very cost effective, you would have been better off buying the X1 in the first place .

Bambu Lab raised the price of the upgrade kit up to €215,- from its previous €150,-. And they even say that “now it is on 25% sale.” It isnt worth it anymore with this price tag… :confused:

I agree. I just saw that price increase and my eyes popped. I’m thankful I got my order in before it happened or I wouldn’t have made the order. They’ve also been having a hard time keeping it in stock - I had to go through two separate notification requests before I could get my order in before it went out of stock again.

The kit pieces are still at the same price they were released at, so its now clear that they offered it at a low or no profit cost when it was released. Surprisingly, they didn’t mention that.

Was it was being done at a loss… I doubt it. They offer a lot of the same stuff in the P1S for $100 more than the P1P, so selling it at $150 was likely a small profit. But what’s crazy is the new regular price. Putting everything together… this is suggesting a rather healthy profit margin (60-70%).

I kinda think that is the point,

1. they were having issues keeping it in stock
  2. The fan control codes are not usable by the Handy app and people risk frying something while using an Official kit, which makes it harder to decipher warranty responsibility.
  3. Users will see the price when debating a P1P vs P1S, if thinking they might do the upgrade later.

Seems to me they want to phase out the P1P.

1 Like

I am of the opinion that the pricing for the P1P to P1S upgrade is excessively high, likely intended to dissuade individuals from attempting the upgrade themselves and instead opting for direct purchase of the P1S. This can be observed in the absence of official support for this upgrade in the mentioned post. (source: Firmware upgrade path for P1P to P1S - #8 by tsmith35)

In my view, this practice is rather disheartening, although I remain hopeful that my assumption is incorrect.

1 Like

In my opinion it’s really business 101. If you can’t keep something in stock you are not charging enough for it.

Perhaps Bambu may have also realized that the kit cost needs to include a cost for the support tickets that users generate when installing.

4 Likes

he new item in the webpage has changed its name ( P1P Enclosure Kit) and now it has the following sentence:

The Bambu Lab P1P Enclosure Kit packs all the parts needed to enclose the P1P 3D printer. After enclosing the P1P, the printer definition will remain the same. It is not possible to change the printer definition from P1P to P1S after the enclosure.

For those who have this kit, is that really works?
Is it possible that change the name and include this sentences for comercial terms only?

1 Like

? what are trying to say ?

2 or 3 weeks ago, the item was called “P1P upgraded to P1S”.
Now they say:
It is not possible to change the printer definition from P1P to P1S after the enclosure.

What I wonder is, why this change? Why do they point it out now?
Is there any feature that we P1P users can’t get to? Or is it just a mere business concept?

sorry, Is there any feature that we P1P users can’t get to (when upgrade - since the point of view of a P1S user)?

I have updated my P1P to P1S, and on the printer display, it still shows the model as P1P. When I print, Bamboo Studio also gives me a printer type error, which I can ignore. However, the bigger issue is with the user profiles I create on the P1S printer, but I can only see them on the P1P. How can I make Bamboo Studio understand that my printer is now a P1S? THANK YOU.

Welcome to the forum!

In the latest version of the firmware for the P series you can select what the printer displays as.

P1P now has support for the flag confirming if the P1P has been upgraded with an enclosure. It is available under “Accessories” → “Upgrade Kit”. When this option is selected, you can use the P1S Studio profiles without the prompt “Incorrect printer model”. (Studio supported version: 1.8.1 and above).

2 Likes

I would assume this is probably the way it will go, but, it actually makes them more money to sell you a P1P and have you realize you screwed up and upgrade it later. That’s a minimum of $50 more the the P1S sticker price and potentially significantly more as most people will slowly upgrade things as they see the need.

I’d bet there are a large number of P1P users that spent $200-300 to effectively have a P1S. For example, most P1P owners printed a enclosure (if they didn’t buy one) and the cost of that isn’t insignificant. I think I spent a spool and a little bit printing one ($30-35). Then they found out they need to have the toolhead cable, cable chain ($12), chamber fan, and mainboard fan ($40’ish), top glass ($30), front glass and mounting kit ($55) to finish the enclosure. That’s over $160 for a DYI enclosure, then the real P1S kit comes out… So, you can “just” buy the rear plate, sides, and front plate to clean it up, but there were two problems with that.

The first problem was, the plastic sides and metal back would still cost you an additional $90, so it might make more sense to have the spare parts and just buy the kit for $150.

The second problem was, if you choose to stay with the piece by piece buying option, that just wasn’t being made available. I waited for a month of release date push backs before just saying screw it and buying a full kit. Not sure when the pieces started shipping, but it was WELL after the initial expected ship dates.

So long story short… some people spent WAY more than the extra $100 from P1S to P1P and it made BBL a significant amount of money. If BBL would have led with the P1S, they would have had significantly lower income.

That said… I’d be willing to bet the P1 Series and X1 Series will both be retired this year, replaced by the P2 and X2 Series. So, yes… I do expect the P1P to disappear soon but not particularly because it not popular choice.

AND ? I think you will find most people are happy with the decisions and money spent as even the P1P was light years ahead of anything else out there at the time. I came from a Tarantula as my first foray into 3d printing and what a nightmware that was I then moved to the Anycubic I3 and Mega X and as far as I am concerned my P1P upgraded to the P1S has well and truely been the best decision I have made in this hobby .

1 Like