P1P WiFi Antenna update

Hi All. Like many other users, I’m having trouble getting the P1P to use LAN Only mode. I can use my phone’s HotSpot, but it will not switch to my local LAN, yet I’ve had it working in the mode for months. I’ve recently moved from Virgin to Sky, maybe that’s significant.

In an attempt to check the inbuilt WiFi Antenna, I thought I’d buy a third party one from Amazon. I’ve had a couple now, but they each have a miniscule connector attached. It looks like the one used on the Bambu one, but it’s much smaller. I’ve scoured the Internet trying to get a definitive answer for what Bambu use, but because it looks the same, there is loads of conflicting information.

Has anyone actually used a third-party antenna on the P1P? If so I’ll be your friend for life if you could post a link. :heart_eyes:

Cheers all.

Cannot be sure of the connector on the AP board although I accessed it several times but if what you got is too small it can only be because you got a MHF4 connector when you need a MHF1/2. This link is only an example which shows both and with dimensions. Check yours and if it needs a MHF1 IPX/IPEX connector, you will certainly find cheap ones on amazon (cheaper than my link :)).

https://www.amazon.com/2-4GHz-5-8GHz-Antenna-Internal-Cable/dp/B08T8BFBCD/

Edit: I had a look at the photos of both wifi antennas for P1 and X1 on the Bambu store and can confirm they have MFH1/2 connectors not MFH4.

I feel your pain brother. Bambu’s implementation of Wi-Fi on the P1 series is amateurish at best. There are no printer connectivity diagnostic tools to speak of, no way to manually establish a connection from the front panel, in short, they deleted all the basic features of Wi-Fi connectivity that even my doorbell has. Totally inexcusable.

Before you continue on your current path though, I think you’re tackling the issue from the wrong end. Swapping out the antennas might seem easy and satisfying, but it will likely create more problems than you think. It’s like a placebo, making you feel like you’re doing something, but in reality, you’re risking potential issues by messing with the delicate SMA connectors. From what you described, you’re getting signal and that means the onboard antennae is doing its job, swapping it out without first diagnosing the problem is likely not to do much good.

You state that it’s working with your phone’s hotspot but not with your Wi-Fi router. First, have you verified from the front panel that you are getting an IP address when connecting? If you are, it is definitely not a signal issue because that means your router sees your printer otherwise you would not have been issued an IP address. Can you connect to the cloud using Handy? If, yes, that too is a strong indicator that signal strength is not the issue.

Second, have you looked at your router’s admin page and can you see the IP address for the printer is active?

Many of us had issues with LAN-Only mode on the P1 series. I’m willing to wager that you’re on version 1.05 of the firmware. I found that going back to 1.04 solved most bnut not all of my reliability issues but I still have some. I mistakenly trusted Bambu and moved from 1.03 which was very stable and then to 1.05 which was unstable, when I tried to backrev to 1.03, they basically told me to get lost and refused to support anything prior to 1.04. I believe that this is because 1.03 doesn’t support all the features they want you to swallow with Makerworld.

Some additional troubleshooting steps you will want to try

1. FTP to the printers IP address if your router is connecting.(Search here for tutorial on FTP connectivity or PM me and I’ll walk you through it)
  2. Ping your IP address from the host computer to verify that there is a path.
  3. Back rev to 1.04 if you haven’t already done so.
  4. Did you run the network tests?

Good Luck :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for that Olias, that’s what you call a comprehensive reply! :innocent:
I’m not at home at the moment, but I’ll post again when I’ve had a chance to try out your suggestions.
You’re right I am on 1.05. I’m still curious to what that antenna connector is called…
Thanks again.

Thank you for that Philch, that solves the mystery. :grinning: No more head-scratching and sleepless nights!

Thanks again.

That’s a great reply. I will add to the fact that the latest firmware released for the P1 series for some reason killed 1 of our P1P’s wifi antenna’s. It simply wouldn’t connect to wifi at all given the others being just fine with full signal.

Customer support didn’t ask twice and simply sent a replaced no questions asked.

The standard internal laptop antenna for 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals is an IPEX MHF4 connector. That’s what is used on the PCB for the P1.

Here’s a search for compatible antenna, note that you want to make sure that it is a PCB mounted connector otherwise you’ll get threaded SMA connector which will not fit.

Also, the connector is a snap fit and easy to break if you’re not careful.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=IPEX+MHF4+Antenna+2.4GHz+5GHz

If you’re truly interested in providing an external antenna, I’d recommend using an IPEX to SMA antenna cable and attach that to an external antenna.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ipex+to+sma+cable

They make kits for this purpose.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ipex+to+external+antenna

They also make magnetically mounted versions of this which will stick nicely to the metal back plate or if you have metal side plates. But you will have to first use an adapter cable to convert to the external SMA mount.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=antenna+magnetic+mount+sma+2.4ghz

It seems awfully strange that a wifi antenna like this would need replacing. It’s just a trace on a PCB. What is there to “break”? I can imagine the connector coming lose, maybe from all those vibration tests it’s doing at the start of every print, but I looked on my X1C and it appears as though it is glued into place. Maybe it’s different on a P1P.

Are you using your internet providers wireless router or your own?

3 Likes

Hi All,

I’ve just managed to revert the P1P’s firmware back to 1.04, and guess what - everything is back to normal again! As far as I can see, that was all that was wrong with it. I’d love to be able to charge Bambu for all the wasted hours.

It seems that 1.05 is known to be highly questionable. One can only assume that Bambu know about it, so to simply leave us all to struggle is totally unacceptable. Even Microsoft try to react positively to a buggy Windows update.

Anway, thank you all for your very helpful suggestions. Long may this Forum continue, and let’s hope that Bambu occasionally monitor it too! :wink:

1 Like

I absolutely agree, and this is where Bambu and I went our separate ways in terms of loyalty. When I raised this issue, all I got was the same old “Send us your logs” response, along with the outright denial that there were any changes between versions 1.04 and 1.05. Oh, really? What about the hard evidence? You know, the kind that shows when you switch from A to B and suddenly all the problems disappear, but Bambu insists that B isn’t the solution?

I upgraded to 1.05 in the first place based on the promise of new features like SD card reading from Bambu Studio, but surprise, surprise, that didn’t work reliably either. And when I couldn’t even roll back to version 1.04, it felt like a complete betrayal. Especially when you just know the real reason is that version 1.03 doesn’t support their propaganda engine, Makerworld.

Here’s an idea, Bambu: Instead of badgering us for our logs every time there’s a hiccup, how about you just cough up the decrypted logs from the get-go? The community has been clamoring for this, yet you persistently refuse. What’s with all the secrecy anyway? It’s not like you’re harboring any deep, dark secrets, or are you? Give us a chance to tackle the troubleshooting ourselves, for once. I mean, let’s face it, with the horrendous quality of your tech support lately, it’s not like we’re getting any genuine support from you anyway.

I don’t often go to tech support but when I do, it’s because I’ve exhausted all other self-support avenues. Here’s my ticket on this very issue after I got angry with the first technician and a more senior tech responded.

And here is their denial that there is a problem with 1.05 and the typical “Upload your logs” answer.

In my view, “It is not possible” = “■■■■-off… we won’t let you.” There is zero justification for this kind of stonewalling.

I’ve had it with handing over free test data to them. It might have been somewhat acceptable if I actually received a resolution, but waiting nearly two weeks for a non-answer (I should even consider myself lucky compared to others who waited longer) is beyond ridiculous. And let’s not forget how I had to practically get angry just to elicit a response in the first place. It’s blatantly obvious that the first technician was merely hitting “reply” to maintain their response scores, without even bothering to read my message properly.

The Bambu CEO has publicly stated that they are “adopting the Apple model”… What a joke. You know what, Apple can afford to be arrogant because, surprise, surprise, their product actually delivers on all of the features they advertise, not just some of them, and when it doesn’t work, they have the customer service to back it up. Take notes, Bambu: You’re no Apple, not even close, so quit making comparisons to something you’ve demonstrated you can’t live up to.

I don’t know of all these issues you’re describing. I have also read that some had issues with 1.05 and prior to update my P1S, I’ve read about these and read for whatever reason that it was best to upgrade through Bambu app than from the printer which is what I did to stay on the safe side. I upgraded through bambu app, made a factory reset from the P1S screen, power cycled the printer, bound the printer, ran calibration and power cycled again. I can attest that everything is as it was prior to upgrade and more, no adherence issues, no signal issues, FTP works, MQTT works with added benefits of accessing SD card files in cloud mode (models and timelapses) from Bambu Studio and the noise cancelling feature is working. I have a Panda Touch as well which works even with Bambu Lab and MQTT explorer open simultaneously whether on cloud or in Lan only mode. I have had zero issue with 1.05.02.00.