P1S: Relay-like clicking right after sending a print job

Hi there! :wink:

As the headline already says, my P1S emits a number of short click sounds which sound like a relay turning on and off quickly - right after transferring a print job via Bambu Studio, as soon as the transfer finishes. Number of clicks seems to be a bit random, sometimes 3, sometimes 4, sometimes 5 - hard to count because it’s a rather fast sequence.

As my window for returning the printer is closing soon, I need some opinions.
Could you lend me an ear (at your printer)? :wink:

1 Like

Hi, please share a video, so we can compare it. But dont worry, this should be fine.

1 Like

Here you are! :wink:

https://youtube.com/shorts/pdyWYRayfi8?feature=share

In the video, it sounds a bit like cycling a gun - but in reality it’s the typical sound of a mechanical relay.
I also noticed that one single click (same sound) is heard a while after the printer going idle.

I addition I noticed the very first print this morning produced no sound at all - but the next one did. I cancelled the print right after sending it, so the bed got heated just a little bit.

Update: Repeated that - and the clicks are 100 % in sync with the target bed temperature switching to 55 °C in the display. Thus it seems there indeed is a kind of audible relay in the P1S working with the heat bed.

that is nothing good. send it to bambu support.

I just opened a ticket. Let’s hope for the best. :slight_smile:
Would really hate the hassle of repacking the printer for return.

In case someone is interested in the progress: Bambu Lab support believes the AC board could be the culprit. They just told me they’ll send a replacement the next days.

Just to note: Reactions of the support staff were very fast, one reply a day. So I had a very good experience which is surely worth noting.

Let’s just hope the new AC board will solve the problem. :slight_smile:

Hey Landei.

I am experiencing the same issue since a few days. Have you had any luck resolving the problem?

Best regards

Hello, @bornsnyder ! :wink:

You’re (un)lucky - right this morning I told my seller that the problem is solved.

Unfortunately, the AC board wasn’t the culprit, which I found out after exchanging the board. It was the heat bed causing the problems.
Bambu Lab support (which always answered without 24 hours and was very friendly and willing to help) also sent me a new heatbed which I installed the day before yesterday and yesterday morning. Took quite some time - it isn’t overly difficult, but it’s a lot of steps to do, and at some places you need special tools for reaching the screws. I printed my own tools - always good to have some spare printers.

Five hints for you:

1. For removing the excess (“poop”) chute, you need to loosen THREE screws. You can reach two of the screws from above, but there’s one additional silver screw hidden under a ledge. You can find that guy sitting at the upper left of the chute if you look up from the back of the printer.
  2. There’s a lot of different screws to work with, sometimes the difference is just half a millimeter of lenght. Make sure to organize all the screws you remove, you will be very happy at reassembly time if you do.
  3. For removing the heat bed mains connectors (brown and blue cables) you need to pull off the silicone sleeve, then use pointed-nose pliers (or anything similar) for depressing a tiny metal tab on the connector before you can pull off the connector. Manual says that, but it’s easy to overlook or misunderstand.
  4. Make sure to have some LONG hex keys (1.5 and 2.0 mm) at hand. Best to have LONG hex bits because fiddling with the L-shaped keys takes forever.
  5. You do NOT need to remove the plastic front panel (with the display) although the manual tells you to do that to be able to reach the last screw of the right side panel. The side panel is flexible enough to reach the thread for connecting the grounding cable without removing the side panel completely.

Hope it’s just the AC panel - swapping this is far easier and far less work to do.

Please tell me how it went. :slight_smile:

WOW @Landei

First of all thanks for your fast and detailed reply. This helps a lot and is much appreciated. I should have known by your username that you might be from Germany as well :wink: But its better for the community to stick to English. I opened a support ticket today. I will see how the support will be able to help in my case but it sounds almost identical to your issue. One thing that boggles my mind though is that I am still able to print (at least today I was). Wondering how it effects the print and if the printer stops working suddenly in the near future.

I will keep you posted here.

Best regards
Björn :wink:

(besides having the same issue it seems you are also almost my namesake :D)