P1S to X1C upgrade path

@christian.woznik Thank you for the correction on different boards, I was not able to discern that based on the language in the link I posted, in retrospect it seems the context was referring to the old board and new board of the same model.

Again, I am happy to be wrong, be corrected, and learn.

It is a bit disappointing that I cant engage in this process diligently and respectfully without the aggressive and passive aggressive responses from some.

I did not ask anyone if they would do it, if it should be done, or what they think of my trying to do it, that has encompassed a large portion of the responses Ive received.

I simply wanted to learn the actual known limitations/challenges. It is my money and my time. Maybe I just really like an all black printer, I could buy one of each and do the swap as suggested, I may have to muck with some mounting/etc but that is the least of my worries.

If I could do it for less than the cost of buying both printers outright, why cant “I” give that a shot. If it doesnt work, its on me.

I don’t even care about the lidar and touch screen, but it would be nice to get a proper camera with the P1S. probably just as easy to figure out how to mount an external USB camera though.

The push back may also come from the fact that this has been discussed a few times already. It also has an obvious answer. Yes, if you swap enough parts. Money aside, most things are doable. If you just want a black printer, buy the p1s side panels.

I mean, enough peole have told you, it can not work. They do not sell you the parts! It is hard enough even to get them as replacements if you destroyed your board!

They will have to activate every new main PCB for the X1 series.

They wont sell you some boards. Like I have told you at the beginning. That is the no.1 limitation. There is no way to bypass this.

Nope. The P1 uses an ESP32. It does not have a USB host port. You will not get a better camera on that printer. You have to install an external one!

Many valid limitations were presented here and quite hard to overcome.
As an exercise, highly expensive, time-consuming, and using unethical, maybe un-legal tricks, you could overcome them… except for the activation.

Just saw this on adding a touchscreen interface to the P1P/P1S series. Looked pretty easy to do and total cost was like $35.

No reason for people to get upset over someone’s curiosity. We each have our interests. Obviously if it costs more to change over financially, it wouldn’t make sense. However, there is nothing wrong in seeing if it’s possible.

1 Like

Interesting idea, however ,buy a cheap smartphone, install Bambu Handy and stick the phone to the printer. Isn’t it basically the same thing or am I missing something? Maybe a new topic about upgrading P1P or P1S displays? Actually there already is a topic on Display upgrades.

1 Like

Sad to see such toxicity by some here, it ruins the reputation for the respectful part of the community.

1 Like

Seriously there is no toxicity at all, you asked if it were possible and many said it wasn’t, and that some parts you wouldn’t even be able to source, but still you said you wanted to do it because you had spent $400 on parts, some people just won’t take no for an answer, no matter if its the truth

5 Likes

You asked for dealbreakers, you got named a few. But instead of taking this as an answer, your only reply was, but I want to.
Honestly, I fail to see how it was toxic here. You just did not like the replies.

4 Likes

No, it isn’t the same thing at all. The display is the least important difference between the models.

1 Like

Coming from a Maker background and not a Print & Play, I wondered the same question. I think that the best thing to do is to contact someone that has an X1 and see if they would examine the differences in the two. As far as “activating”, if you use it offline, then there shouldn’t be a problem. Bambu Lab is still somewhat new and there will be people like us that want to know how to upgrade or mod it because that is what we do. Listening to the nay sayers probably haven’t even programmed or built some of the things that we have. I added endstops to lasers and flashed other software so it thought that it was a different laser. I was told that I couldn’t do it cause it was closed source. So, if you can find the differences in the two such as boards, there most likely is a way. Worse comes to worse, might be looking at Spyder/Octopus board. Didn’t the board have a STEM32 on it? Can always check the Linux sites for info. Keep going and this is how things get improved and the makers stronger. Good Luck.

2 Likes

Agreed @cpbeshaw, at least for the xtouch piece. Most of us probably have a spare/old phone sitting around that could be used for this purpose. I still want an upgraded camera though. The P1S camera is terrible. Has anyone come up with a simple solution for that yet?

The upgrade to the PS1 from the P1P is the best you can do. I tried hooking an external camera but it won’t track the print head so not of much use.

What I would do, is buy a cheap touch screen and a cheap raspberry pi. Install Linux and use apis to interface the printer

And call it Panda Touch :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I was looking at that after I posted. But you can get a raspberry pi 3 and a touch screen for $30 instead of spending $60

You should sell your printer and buy a x1 new or used

the x1 and p1 series have completely different main boards (ap) . They aren’t interchangeable.