P1S to X1C upgrade path

Anyone tried to (partially) upgrade a P1S to some of the X1C components?
Specifically to get the X1C screen and Camera on the P1S, and possibly add the Lidar as well.

I asked Bambu support but they where no help.
Looking a bit deeper from the available replacement parts, it seems I would need to swap the mainboard to get the screen and camera and possibly the toolhead boards to match. Would most definitley need the toolhead boards for the lidar.

Not owning either, anyone know if there are any things I am missing? Or any ā€œabsolutely impossible to do thisā€ deal breakers?

Erm no, because none of those components will work, different motherboards and ancillaries.
There is an easier way, just buy a X1C like I did

2 Likes

You wont be able to use the screen or lidar without spending a fortune to swap half the printer out.

Price is not my concern, feasibility is.

I put all x1 only boards, harnesses, etc into a cart, couple of small items out of stock. it was north of 400 USD.
What I didnt find is the actual lidar, only the housing (unless the housing also contains the lidar?)
Nor can I tell what exactly I what specifically would need to upgrade on the toolhead to accept the main controller/harness upgrade.

Still looking for an answer of can it be done or not. i.e. the internal construction does not allow for the swap, or some similar reason,

There is a reason no one has tried this, it is because itā€™s not possible, speak to BL they will tell you, if you have now spent $400 why didnā€™t you just get a X1C?

I think the bigger problem would be getting the firmware to take. Being closed source, youā€™ll be on your own to figure it out. Its possible youā€™ll be able to connect the parts and it automatically recognizes what is connected, but I wouldnā€™t bank on it. Personally, I donā€™t think its worth the hassle, nor the potential stock pile of useless parts.

@Yorkie9668 I dont want the X1C, I want the P1S with the better camera and touch screen.

2 Likes

@just4memike Why would the firmware not take? The firmware and mcu do not know what case they are in, if you stripped the mcu out of an x1c specific parts out and installed them in a watermelon, it would not know the difference(?)

I dont care about the hassle or unused parts, I just want to know if anyone knows factually knows something that prevents it from being done.

You seem pretty adamant about trying this. The only way to find out if itā€™s possible is to try it yourself.

9 Likes

the individual boards would all need to be from the same donor x1c. Unless you can talk bambu into activating all the snā€™s. When an ap board goes out, they send you one with a qr code on it. You then contact bambu with a pic of that code and the chassis code. After they do the magic, you can then bind. These arent like normal printers. These are locked down. Anti-modder style.

1 Like

It will not work. BBL does not sell half the components you would need. You would need to change all but 2! PCBs inside the printer.

And at that point, it is no longer a P1S with a better touchscreen, but it would be 100% identical, except the side panels, to an X1C. But you would have had to spend much more than the difference, if they would even sell you all the parts!

Plus you might run into problems with the screws on some of the PCBs, as I think they are not 100% compatible. You would also not be able to install the screen without changing some of the plastic parts.

You do not gain anything. It would be more expensive for 0 gain!

2 Likes

@christian.woznik Which specific boards are not available?

@StreetSports why would they not activate it? Its not like Im installing it on an Enderā€¦

You could however buy a X1C and put the P1S side and front panels on it if you really Need a P1S that functions as a X1C. Different strokes for different folks.

8 Likes

The AP board, which is the most important one of all.

2 Likes

Like I saidā€¦ it is possible that it is set up to recognize system components to determine the model of firmware it will accept, or maybe its set from one central piece of hardware/control board, thatā€™s just something I wouldnā€™t bet on. There is obviously something that is making the determination (since it is mostly automated now), and since you would be going in to this blind, it would be either dumb luck, or a little bit of work to figure it out.

I donā€™t have a problem with you trying, honestly, Iā€™d love to know (even if I donā€™t ever plan to do it). But if Iā€™m honest, Iā€™d call it a waste of money, but since its not my money, have at it!

@holmes4 Thank you, that is the type of information I started this thread for!
@just4memike I really appreciate your insight here! I did a quick search on the AP Board to learn about it, the first result:

It indicates:
Aside from warnings, it would not affect operation.
There is a single board across all models.

I dont see it as a blocker other than firmware/feature unlock, but that deos not appear to be related to the ap board itseft, but possibly only a relationship of the original AP to the shipped model stored in Bambu customer db.

No! There is not. Read again! See the difference between the P1 and X1 series. They are two completely different boards. The P1 uses an ESP32, the X1 uses a Rockchip RV1126. The P1 runs custom code, the X1 runs a Linux.

This is the manual for the P1:

As for that: The AP board and toolhead board, not the interface board!, would be the most important. Both are not sold.

But you do you. You have heard enough time, that it is basically impossible, but if you want to try, your money!

2 Likes

Would be kinda interesting to see if this would be possible. Iā€™m pretty sure it technically would be, but just how much you actually need to replace is unknown to me.

If you do go through with it, though 400 USD is a lot of dollaridoos to spend on a ā€˜maybeā€™, please post updates here, or link to a new thread if itā€™s a longer series of updates. Iā€™d be interested to see what you find!

lol it would probably be more cost effective to buy a new x1c, strip the parts needed for your swap and then sell the remaining parts. Eww, maybe swap all your p1s stuff onto the x1c chassis and then you can have 2 frankensteins

Hole patterns seem to align for both the AP board and the Extruder board. So I would go with yes. It seems that it should be.

It will not be 400 USD. I have read somewhere, can not find it unfortunately, that Bambu charged a person 200 USD for the AP board. Most likely another 100-200 USD for the extruder one + LIDAR. So you are looking at closer to 800 USD if you can buy it all.

Just swap the side panels? I mean it would be the same, wouldnt it be? That is the only difference I can spot at that point between the X1C and P1P. The motion system and chassis are identical anyways.

1 Like