PA-CF abrasion issue

Hi all,

I stumbled upon this link: https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/faq#:~:text=Does%20the%20AMS%20support%20PA,damage%20caused%20by%20filament%20abrasion.

which says:

Does the AMS support PA-CF filament?

Yes, but it is better to feed PA-CF directly to the printer without using the AMS, to avoid damage caused by filament abrasion.

Does anyone know if thats still true? and if so, what do i need to replace eventually? what’s the expected life span?

All the best!

Johnny

2 Likes

@johnny.t.shi
Good question. I was wondering the same thing and I don’t have the answer. This link has a table that shows PA-CF and PLA-CF have compatibility with AMS. I guess I would have expected the table to say “Not Recommended” for those materials instead of “Yes”.

1 Like

Yes, I saw that as well, and that confused me. Agreed, should be changed to “Not Recommended” if that’s the case

But I understand things are changing quickly (like the Engineering Plate is now recommended for PETG, instead of the Cool Plate, which is different from what the plate says on it)

1 Like

I was just scanning thru printables and came across this remix AMS Feeder/Protector Adapter by @OurAngryBadger [original by @ktothestank ]

I’m going to print these but I’d be curious to know if the only concern for wear with abrasives is with the AMS feeder pieces that you push to insert filament (i.e. is there concern about the feeder gearing becoming worn or something in the buffer?).

ah…that’s neat

on one of my other printers, I have a titan with metal Idler arm (aluminum), and glow filament made a groove after one print

1 Like

Have they given any update?

On the AMS store page it says not recommended, but on that material page it says “YES”… So can we use it in the AMS or not?

I would bypass the AMS unless I need support- green in which case AMS is necessary.

2 Likes

@AridShrub I would concur with you on this. I used my PA-CF on the side with a y-splitter but would have used the AMS if i was going to use support-G with the PA-CF.

I would say it is compatible with AMS and it’ll probably be ok to use it with the AMS a few times but if you can get around using the AMS with heavy abrasives, you should do so.

1 Like

Ok thanks guys, seems like it’s worth the minor effort of printing the Y splitter to use it outside of the AMS. Just means I have to get another heater/box for it to keep it from collecting moisture.

Be cool if there was a “hardened” or “pro” AMS that could handle abrasives.

1 Like

@Abari Agreed. One would think the BL AMS would be able to handle all BL filaments, however, understanding that the cost to the consumer would likely be more and may even push that accessibility to less people.

I have a separate sunlu filament dryer that I use for these types of situations.

What is supposed to wear out on the AMS? The Gears or guide? I will just buy extras of whatever is supposed to wear out and replace it if I can. Those .stl guides AFP316 posted infer the guides wear down. I want to use ABS as my support filament for PA - CF because the Support Filament for PA12-CF is too weak to run through the AMS. This means I need to run the PA CF in the AMS as well. I have been running the PA CF on the back with the Y splitter for now, but really want to use a support material. Please let me know what is supposed to wear out. Thank you in advance.

It says on their site that “BambuLabs PA-CF and PAHT-CF, however, have both been designed and tested to be AMS compatible.” I guess if I use their brand “Bambu PA CF” it is designed to work and last. I would like to know what part in the AMS is supposed to wear out?

Anything that the abrasive filament rubs against from entry to exit, even the buffer in the back.

As noted above, I would only use the AMS with that type of material if special support was needed.

Print these and do what you want. Printables

I came across another AMS thread that showed the internals of the AMS, and I clearly understand why they say “Not Advisable” with abrasive filaments. Lot of plain PTFE tubing at some pretty tight corners and plastic housings that will get worn through, and as I suspected, everything but the filament drive gear is plastic.

1 Like