PA-CF filament trouble

Hello. I have no luck with Bambu filament PA-FC .
I put it in AMS no luck, dry it for 12 hours, direct feed trough the heater and still no luck.
First layer great, but it just uzzing out from the nozzle. and the finish is totally out.

Any ideas.
I broke my filament in AMS so, I have to disassemble the hole think to fix it. nr, 3 is not retracting in AMS

what temp and settings are you using ?
and just for testing , can you try to print it from the back with out AMS ( it should work in ams , just try to rule other things out )

Original Settings from Bambu lab. so 270 to 300.
I had to do without the AMS (the second time- due to clogged PTFE tubing in AMS) , direct from the back from the heater box

1 Like

could it maybe somehow caused a partial clog because of the first time
if default settings are used ( 290 ) it should be fine i guess , i never printed the PA-CF so got no experience with it

can you try to swap to normal pla , print a small thing ( like a benchy , not the demo as that is a modified benchy ) and see if that goes well , if it does then the nozzle is clean , if not then the nozzle is most likely partial clogged

Carbon fibers are abbrassive materials like wood and glow in the dark
sometimes those tiny parts can partial clog up a nozzle and it is suggested to use a 0.6 nozzle instead to eliminate the risk of clogging because CF parts

sadly as i have no experiance with it i can not really confirm the above statement, it is based on some info i found so it could be wrong.

1 Like

THANKS, Will try now ABS, just fixed AMS, broken filament on nr.3. Now will print again.

this one is side on the plate.

You say you’re printing straight from the heater box - what are you using to dry the filament?

PA-CF can need many hours at >70C, ideally 80C+ and almost all filament driers cannot achieve that temperature. Many of the single spool units that most people have struggle to get above about 55-60C.

60 C for 12h… except if I put in in the oven before.
Did the ABS and ALL OK. so just PA-CF is not going well

Are you using the recommended glue stick when printing PA-CF? And which build plate?

And what slicer are you using? That looks like a hilbert curve top surface that is not available in vanilla Bambu Studio. I do see it in the SoftFever editiion.

I tried Bambu Lab PA-CF on both the Bambu High Temperature Plate and Bambu Engineering Plate.

High Temperature Plate, 0.4 mm, 0.16 mm layer, glue stick, standard settings for BL PA-CF.

Some stringing as I did not clear from my prior print.

Engineering Plate, 0.4 mm, 0.20 mm layer, glue stick, standard settings for BL PA-CF.

Verified 60C, or 60C setting on a filament drier?

To me it sounds not hot enough. I’d recommend trying 80C (the Bambu spools with PA-CF on them are a different colour and are rated to handle this, unlike the ones supplied with the PLA).

PA-CF is much more sensitive to moisture than ABS.

1 Like

Thanks for the help, I fixed it.
Put the PA-CF into the oven 80C for 10h and it worked like beauty.

printed and GREAT print!

3 Likes

I can confirm 75Deg C in the printdry filement dryer for 10 hours was perfect for PA-CF.
Having a fan rotating the air is an important factor. And looking at the pics, looks to be a slicing issue, regards to the finish

did the same slicing as before and the problem was only moisture .

2 Likes

That looks much better!

Glad you got it all sorted.

1 Like

Did you try a .6 or larger nozzle? I have not had any good prints with PA/CF on any printer with a .4 nozzle.

Hello All,

Any Idea on what the Issue is here ? The filament is Sunlap PA-CF printed with generic PA-CF settings.

It was heated 8Hours 80 degrees C already nothing changed.

Best Regards
Alex

from my previous experience with Carbon filled filament. use a 0.6 nozzle or larger… keep it slow