PAHT-CF printing quality issues

Hi all,

I’m having problems on a PAHT-CF print.

First of all the print settings:

• 0,4 hardened nozzle
  • High Temp Plate
  • Filament profile left as PAHT-CF Bambu Studio standard;
  • Printing profile 0,2 mm Strenght @BBL X1C, only modification 40% Adaptive Cuboid Sparse Infill;

I opened the roll of filament 4 days ago, dried it inside the X1 for 12 hours at 90° and then stored it inside the AMS. After drying it I printed a trial model wich turned out great and last night I printed the model that now is having quality issues.

The results:

Moreover after the print the High Temp Plate presents some slightly elevated ridges all around the printed pieces:

Any idea on what I should do before trying the print again, considering it is a pretty long and expensive print?
Could it be that after just 4 days in the AMS the filament is no longer dry (the printer and the AMS are in an office)?

Thank you all,

L.

1 Like

Are your desiccants ok inside the AMS? Did you check the humidity inside? Did you add mods to store additional silica gel?

PCHT, as all other nylons, are really sensitive to moisture. If the previous print just after drying was great, I would look into that. It would me by first suspicion.
Also, at least for me, drying nylon inside the printer is really not getting all the moisture out. The material is just not getting warm enough and the airflow is also limited. Even most filament dryers have problems as they are not getting hot enough.

I dry all the Nylons in a hot air fryer and have added additional silica gel inside the AMS (there are mods for the front, as well as containers that fit inside the spool) and this is then working much better. I havent had any problems.

I would see to dry the filament again, potentially even longer than the 12h inside the printer.

The dessicants inside the AMS are 2 weeks old and they look fine, I think. I don’t have a humidity sensor yet, nor have I installed mods to add more dessicants (I got the printer 2 weeks ago, I’m still trying to understand everything that is needed).

I’ll have to try to dry the filament again and reprint (maybe starting again with a smaller model…)

Thank you very much!

I think it both wasn’t dried enough and got wet again in your AMS. AMS is not that good and Nylon (and fibre-filled filaments which makes it more susceptible) soak moisture like crazy. I usually print it from a drier, though I have printed it from the AMS and it was fine for at least 48 hours (but I have it stuffed with dessicant).

I would dry it properly (80ºC for a few hours in an oven or a drier, 70ºC is sufficient but takes longer) and try again.

I think this is one of the most important parts, if you want to store technical filament inside the AMS. Otherwise, it is really not too great. With the mods, you can easily add 3-4 times the amount of silica gel that is in the two small bags.

If you print these additions: Print them out of ASA or another high temp material. That way, you can easily put the containers with the desiccant in the oven and regenerate it. For my spools, I just keep them on while drying the filament and thus rarely have to regenerate the other containers, and also have printed PHCT-CF after several weeks without problems.

Myself, these are the containers I used:
https://www.printables.com/de/model/531366-slimfront-side-silica-boxdry-box-for-bambulab-ams
https://www.printables.com/de/model/416278-best-bambu-lab-ams-rear-desiccant-refillable-silic
https://www.printables.com/de/model/333828-spincycle-keep-every-spool-dry-for-bambu-x1-p1p-am

I see a youtube video that explain that 0,4 hardened nozzle is not good for this kind or material, prefer 0.6 hardened nozzle.
I don’t know if it is bettor or not.

I had similar initial results with the PAHT-CF filament, even after 12 hours of drying.

But then I used Orca and ran the Flow Dynamics calibration and Flow Rate calibration, and those made a huge difference. When complete I had:
Flow Multiplier: 0.839
Pressure Advance: 0.028

Back from the dead lol.

Just started tinkering with PAHT-CF, and having issues, so I’m doing a lot of reading on the matter.

Did you find a solution for your issues?