Painting Precision

I sliced some spool desiccant hubs which had some sunk/engraved text on them. I wanted to paint just the top layer of the text blue, so I used the fill feature and clicked the face of each letter, and it filled them fine, but in the slice preview, it actually has the 3 layers underneath also blue as well, which isn’t a huge deal but it adds unnecessary filament changes and purges which I was trying to avoid by just doing the 1 layer.

I tried to use the height range feature with the layer height selected, but it did even worse and kept painting random parts of the print.

I tried just changing to blue for that whole layer which worked, but obviously left a blue ring around the part and used even more blue than the painted letter version did.

Are there settings I’m missing that can do what I want?

I share your thoughts on the painting. It is similar with support painting where it can be difficult to exactly hit the spots you want to.

Maybe you have to resort to the classic way for multimaterial printing by splitting your part in CAD, e.g. one subpart for each filament.

1 Like

Oh think I didn’t read carefully. Your problem is not inexact painting, but how deep the painting goes into the part. I see 4 layers deep and no way to change that. Orca slicer has a new text tool, that is excellent and allows all those settings, but the color painting is exactly the same as bambu studio. So no advantage here.

So probably my recommendation is still the only way to fully control where each filament is used.

1 Like