Permissions for charitable use of a model on MakerWorld

I have sent a DM requesting permission to use a design that’s currently on MakerWorld, but for charitable use rather than commercial use. After a first DM and re-send, I also sent a message via their website. No response. They do offer a on-demand commercial license.

What is reasonable to do here?

More:

I want to print ~50-100 units and offer them for a make-a-donation type offering at a charitable event. I’m prepared to credit the designer, and even pay a nominal license fee. But not a commercial license, since I’m not doing this commercially. The charity is a US-based official 501(c)(3).

Should I just look for an alternative designer that is more responsive? It’s been a week with no response. Am I just being impatient? I know these designers are often just a single person. I’m sure they’re very busy!

I wish there was a charitable, i.e. non-commercial usage clause in the Standard Digital File License.

I also wish there was an automated permissions request option within MakerWorld, rather than rely on direct messages (DMs).

Abide by the license is the only reasonable answer.

You want their commercial license, just sign up for one month.

The SDFL also prohibits distribution of the printed model completely, and then goes on to further exclude any use (presumably incidental) in any money-related activity.

Not everyone logs into their MakerWorld account regularly. They may not see the the DM right away. Plan ahead and ask early so creators have a chance to see the DM.

@MakerWorld : Is it possible to allow users to opt-in to receive notification of direct messages or have the DM reach them by email?

I’ve had a few of these via my linked Instagram, if they’ve got a linked set of social media platforms, you could try there.

Like others have said, it doesn’t notify you on MW if you get a DM (by default at least), but if you’ve tried their website it might be they aren’t interested and it might be worth exploring other models/designers.

I personally love the idea of something I’ve made benefiting a charity, the only condition I give, is in person events only and please send some pictures of them on display (tends to be the Ghostbusters bits I’ve made).