Petg blobs on nozzle but print quality is superb

So I’ve gotten my Polymaker Petg Settings dialed in but I’ve got one problem that I know a minor adjustment would help. Unfortunately I’m not sure which one. My prints are looking great but I’m still seeing some material build up at the nozzle. No stringing of any kind, literally no part defects at all, just the build up on the nozzle. Would like to figure this out before I tackle a long print in the coming days. The same brand in a different color did not have the same build up. Any tips would be appreciated as I can’t find anything on YouTube that ONLY focuses on material build up.

1 Like

You could try to increase retraction a little bit.
I assume you did flow calibration and temp calibration already?

Or do you just mean that some of the material sticks to the side of the nozzle, but is not visible in the print itself?

1 Like

BambuStudio uses Grid infill as standard. It’s an infill that prints over itself on the same layer. Try an infill like Rectilinear that does not.

3 Likes

Right. I did all the calibrations in orca and got the prints looking pretty clean. No material build up on the print itself, just a bit on the nozzle. Hasn’t been bad yet but I’ve only been doing some test prints (anywhere from 10-45 minutes of various objects) trying to get the material to stay off the nozzle as to prevent an issue that might occur when doing a large print. If that makes sense.

It usually is not a big problem and happens easily with PETG as that stuff sticks to everything.
But @AndiS suggestion might help you. Also you might try to enable the “Avoid crossing walls” slicer setting under Quality->Advanced. Both should have a chance to reduce the buildup.

1 Like

Not to sidetrack this conversation, but I’d love to see your settings for Polymaker. I have mostly amazing prints with PETG (mostly thanks to Thrawns PETG issue thread) but every once in awhile there’s artifacting/blobbing/surface holes. It happens once or twice on a 3ish hour print. And I know the conversation around drying is a thing, but I’ve never specifically had to previously, but have ordered a dehydrator for it (just in case), but Id still like to compare settings to see if you have anything different than mine that might assist.

3 Likes

Yes he fixed my problem with material dragging away at the top of a radius! I’ll check my settings when I get back home and post them here. I do remember my k value seemed oddly high. I want to say .05. I know my temps are 260 at normal speeds And advance was something like .9875. Left the cooling stock because I’m a rookie and don’t know any better but after using his suggestion of unclicking “slow down for overhangs” everything has been beautiful. Again, I’ll check to verify those. Polymaker gave me fits in the beginning.

2 Likes

My PETG/CPE/PCTG filaments absolutely hate both Grid and Rectilinear infills on the X1C. It just moves way too fast, drags on the infill and destroys everything in it’s wake (or in the case of rectilinear it doesn’t laminate properly and get’s caught). I either have to slow down the sparse infill speed or just switch to gyroid (which is both better and simply prints slower). The buildup on the nozzle is either too runny filament (too high temperature), the nozzle catching material, too much extrusion or the nozzle being very dirty in the first place, which makes stuff stick to it. Try also cleaning the nozzle, I just scrape the gunk off and wipe it with IPA, that helps a lot.

3 Likes