I’ve used PETG HF a fair amount.
How much slower is PETG Basic? For example, if a PETG HF print was going to take 30 minutes, roughly how long would a PETG Basic print take?
I’ve used PETG HF a fair amount.
How much slower is PETG Basic? For example, if a PETG HF print was going to take 30 minutes, roughly how long would a PETG Basic print take?
A new BL PETG Matte is coming.
Sunlu High Speed PETG, and Jayo Rapid Matte PETG, are both identical to Bambu PETG HF as far as I can tell. Print fine with Bambu profile or very minor tweaking, beautiful matte finish. And readily available on Amazon. Just FYI.
Probably the minority but I’ve come to prefer basic’s performance over HF. Still won’t forgive what they did and the huge pain it was re-tuning everything
.
HF I used to, and now Basic, go through huge volumes of these things so for consistency everything is manually set. I could never get HF to be 100% string-free in batch-prints despite drying them to the bone. Basic archives that. A bit more warp-resistant on challenging objects. Best of all, a lot less nozzle-sticking (YMMV).
Basic does indeed lack a bit of the 'graininess" that HF had to impart that finer look, especially on lighter colors. Not the most aesthetic, especially with those lackluster colors, but more reliable, lower maintenance workhorse…
Apparently Bambu’s Matte PETG has been a total train wreck that trips up Flow Dynamics Calibration etc. and is not even matte at higher temp (as PETG should be printed at)
Kinda off topic, but I recently discovered that the MarsWork brand PLA on Amazon may be an exact match for Bambu PLA Basic. Their Indigo Purple is indistinguishable in print performance or finish appearance.
Their various other colors are named the same as Bambu’s in a conveniently suspicious way (e.g. “Pumpkin Orange”, “Cocoa Brown”, “Cobalt Blue”). Aside from the lack of RFID tag, the refills seem identical to Bambu’s.
(Bambu’s is cheaper if you buy 10+ spools at a time, but I never do.)
Where did you hear this? This sounds like my kind of thing! I’ve always hated how the Matte PLA’s were always so weak compared to normal PLA, so this is perfect for my setup!
It has been reported on reddit, it is being sold in China. There are some pics of the box and spool in the thread. https://www.reddit.com/r/BambuLab/comments/1ux04im/new_bambu_matte_petg/
edit: forgot to reply directly to @Mason49
Your post was pointless. That’s the main issue. If you’re fine with Basic, then you have everything you want. Enjoy your day.
For some of us, it’s a big blow. I have a whole array of tool inserts printed in PETG-HF, and now I can’t match any of them anymore.
PETG-HF was beautiful. It was a genuinely beautiful filament.
I want it back.
I am of the same opinion.
I have tried a number of alternatives and the closest I’ve found so far is Elegoo Rapid, and it works out about £9 a roll in bulk, and they always have availability and fast delivery. It’s slightly shinier, but has most of the same characteristics.
It seems Bambu Labs have shot themselves in the foot with this one.
Please bring PETG HF back!
why did BL got rid of it?
I doubt anyone here knows. They promoted the new Basic as a better replacement for HF but maybe they had some supply issue and had to replace it? There had been a number of posts about availability a while back.
Or maybe it was HF’s susceptibility to water issues? If you could dry it well it was stellar (IMO) but many weren’t drying it well enough and there were frequent complaints.
Or maybe Basic was going to be more profitable?
But hard to say or know unless they decide to tell us.
I’m with you 100%. So sad that they’re killing off PETG HF.
I don’t understand myself why BambuLab PETG HF has been discontinued; it was very easy to print with and the finished print almost always looked great. We bought the Basic version, and I’m not sure what I can use it for. It’s so glossy that the slightest imperfection in the print is visible as if through a magnifying glass. In the photo, you can see the difference between the same part printed using the default settings for both filaments. BOTH WERE CURED FOR 16 HOURS. Unfortunately, we won’t be ordering BambuLab PETG Basic again; we’ll be using filaments from another manufacturer for future prints.
Apparently, limited colors/quantities of Bambu PETG-HF are on sale, at least in the US store:
This is the best PETG I’ve ever printed with—I’ve never had any problems with it—and I hope to be able to order it regularly.
Does anyone know if the filament gets old (=bad) over time?
I kind of went over board on piling up on everything. Counting the spools in the ams’es I got about 100kg of plastic, every space is cramped with spools. I got about 30kg of HF left, 40kg basic, 10kg translucent, 10kg of Add:North petg, and then som ASA, some PC, one PPS-CF, and probably forgot a fiew. Now it hit me, it’s probably got some sort of “best before date”?
Yeah you got about 3 months on it all, they call it scalpers dieback, it normally fails from the inside out too so you won’t know until its too late