PETG HF - best looking PETG ever

PETG HF was, in my opinion, the best-looking PETG. I know there are other similar threads, but I just want Bambu Lab to know that many users really appreciate the HF version.

I ordered the Basic series to try it out, but the appearance of the prints suffered significantly compared to HF. In comparison, the Basic version looks cheap and inferior.

Same assessment here. The new Basic prints ok but just doesn’t look the same. HF looks so much better.

Bambu has white, black, gray, and red in PETG HF for sale though. No idea if they will continue stocking those or not but they are in stock now. I grabbed some to have and use instead of Basic.

Won’t be buying any more Basic either. It’s ok, but I’ll try other brands first.

Aren’t they out of sock for the HF a lot of the time?

The other colors show as out of stock but red, white, black, and gray are in stock at this writing.

The filament page has this in bold/red: “PETG HF is discontinued and will not be restocked once sold out. A new and improved PETG is available now!”

But no idea what their intentions are or if the 4 colors will remain available.

I have just checked out the site.. In the UK all colours of PETG HF are sold out.

The link in the message about PETG HF being discontinued just takes you to PETG Basic.

Ah. In the US store, the four colors are available. No idea for how long.

So will the people who don’t like the PETG Basic just stick with it or buy another manufacturers filament?

We go the only other logical place to get filament:

TO AMAZON!

Try Add:North rPETG.

I bougth five spools of the recycled “rPETG” looks even better than Bambu HF. Downside is, it needs to print slow. (No HF)

I’m still watching out for the Bambu HF, but if I cant get it, the Add:North filament will have to fill the void.

I will miss the RFID tag, other than that, it’s only downside is the print speed.

The HF RFID tag may not be appropriate for rPETG but maybe the Basic tag would work?

If a filament prints ok using Bambu parameters, you can just cut the actual tags off the plastic strip from a Bambu spool and tape them to the side of new spools of other filament. Keep track of colors and you can get those bennies as well.

Ive yet to purchase some petg basic (new as im still printing with the old petg basic , does it not have the same sheen as the old basic ?

RFID is just a convenience, saves 5sec, no more. If a spool will run out mid print (no RFID) join two slots with same filament in bambu studio, and the ams will switch spool, just like it does with bambu spools. Only difference is you need to do a couple more mouse clicks.

Add:North has ready profiles for all there filaments, like many other manufacturers. One download, and import to studio. No need to invent, nor experiment.

I will still look for bambu alternatives first. Good price (if buying 10x) good quality. But nice to have options when bambu shop is out of stock. :wink:

RFID is just a convenience, saves 5sec, no more.

Then why say you will miss it? You said you would miss it so I tried to help with a possible solution. Now you say it’s a waste of time.

Have fun.

I did not intend to offend anyone. I apologize if I did.

There are other benefits of the RFID, like the material left on the spool estimation. Hence I would miss it.

I got my ams’es turned 90⁰ to the printer, no clear line of site to spools in there…

Bambu store had ETA for tomorrow, but they got restocked today, so 20 new PETG-HF spools ordered. I will be OK for a month.

Cheers.

I’ll hang out with the nerds and dweebs at the “I like the PETG Basic just fine” lunch table. When BL said they were discontinuing the HF version, I figured they meant they would “discontinue the HF version” and moved on. Silly me for thinking they would have said that in jest. My daily joy is worth quite a bit more than the outer layer finish sheen of a toothbrush stand in the spare bathroom that I chose to print in PETG. But then again, it’s not really that nice of a toothbrush.

I absolutely agree! Has anyone found an alternative to PETG HF White that looks close to as good?

It’s probably not in jest and is likely to all go away without some word from Bambu. The page still says discontinued and won’t be restocked.

Those who prefer the HF version just have a chance to get more if they need/want it.

But the HF prints beautifully for me. Extreme quality, smooth surfaces, accurate prints. Basic prints but the surface just isn’t as good and it doesn’t capture the finer details. Others curse HF but it is miles ahead of Basic for me.

Let me try this again.

My post was littered with humorous statements. “lunch table”, repeating word for word the “discontinue” statement, the idea that BL would change their mind and NOT discontinue HF, my toothbrush holder, etc. Laugh - Don’t Laugh - doesn’t matter. It was created and sent out into the ether for all to digest in their own way.
I realize BL discontinued the HF filament. They stated it pretty darn clearly. I was poking fun at the idea of BL bringing it back because “we” like the finish of the filament. They will do whatever makes fiscal sense to the company. If they do in fact bring it back - good for them. I’d buy it, no doubt. It’s good filament.
And finally, the statement - “My daily joy is worth quite a bit more” than whatever some filament choice might bring. That points to the fact that my life and my happiness does not revolve around business decisions from others. I live a pretty well balanced life and know how to prioritize variables around me. Though I still haven’t managed to master the shoelace or the double zipper. Could explain my frequent law enforcement visitations.

Hopefully that clears up whatever disconnect I may have inferred or implied or formed out of clay or printed out of the last remaining BL PETG-HF Peanut Brown.

No kittens were harmed in the posting of this comment. Though we did come across a vole with the sniffles.

I don’t doubt its going away. I stopped buying it early this year when I got a master class from Bambu on why depending on a very specific brand/color is a bad idea. Strangely it’s been easier to obtain in the last 3 months since they announced it is being discontinued than it was for the 6 months prior. I’ve also noticed the US store now shows every color getting restocked at the end of August early Sept. Will they actually be restocked… :man_shrugging:

Restocking only delays the problem by 6 months and does not provide a solution.

Bambu is saying the line is discontinued. My regions are not showing restock. A region showing a restock probably means the last batch is on a boat somewhere, or stuck in import/export bureaucracy.

One day print farms will learn the skills that plastic toy/item factories have, and figure out the workflow on how to paint or stamp their prints cheaply. Or just tell their customers that colour and glossiness can vary from batch to batch.

There are colour matched filament companies that can supply a specific/exact pantone but it’s arguably more expensive than hiring an art school intern and supplying them with paint.