PETG Matte vs PETG Basic photos

PETG-Matte has arrived in every colour, I ran a quick Benchy test but without drying any of it first.

For the photos:

  • Spools, left to right: Basic, Matte, HF
  • Benchies: Basic, Matte

Matte is visibly more matte than Basic. Just looking at the spool, the finish really stands out. I think it might be slightly more matte than HF, but the difference is barely detectable, so I’d call them pretty much the same.

It looks great, hides imperfections and VFAs, and prints very well.

Now, for my standardized, highly scientific “break the chimney and twist the front-right post with pliers” test: Basic is much stronger. I’d estimate it’s about 30% stronger than Matte. When I twisted the Basic Benchy’s front-right post, I thought I was going to break my pliers. The Matte one gave in much more easily. Matte feels very close to PETG HF.

If Matte doesn’t absorb moisture as quickly as HF, it could be a great replacement. For strength, I’d choose Basic; for looks, Matte.

Happy printing—and please don’t actually break your pliers testing this!

2 Likes