PLA Galaxy not recognized by AMS

The new Bambu Lab Galaxy PLA is not being automatically recognized by the AMS. It’s not in the latest updates for Bambu Studio (although you can select the filament profile for it).

I think this requires an update to the printer or AMS firmware. Any idea when that is supposed to happen or when this would get fixed so I can start using the filament?

UPDATE: After multiple failed attempts, I have figured out you cannot even MANUALLY set the filament to Bambu PLA Galaxy. The Handy App and Printer/AMS firmware do not recognize the filament, only Bambu Studio. Because it is not a filament profile the printer recognizes, the filament settings get cleared out every single time.

This is a waste of my time and incredibly frustrating. Bambu needs to fix this so that when new filaments are released, we can use them as intended instead of trying to find a workaround.

1 Like

In Studio, can you get the filament info and default print settings to show up ?
If so:
Take a few screenshots of those values.
Now create a custom profile with these values and save it.
You can now use the spool from the external holder with the correct settings.
If you need it in the AMS you either have to take the chip strip out or disable the automatic filament recognition.

I know, only a workaround to get going…
One would expect that if Bambu sells new filament that they would update their hardware and software on time…

I basically did that only I used Bambu Basic PLA settings as they were identical to Galaxy PLA. I just calibrated them using the Basic PLA and saved them as “Galaxy Nebulae” and “Galaxy Purple”.

That worked as long as I didn’t change any spools in the AMS. When I changed a spool that wasn’t Galaxy PLA, both filaments I had set to Basic reverted back to blank. I assume the AMS read the RFID tag, tried to set it to Galaxy PLA, and couldn’t because the printer has no concept of Bambu Lab Galaxy PLA.

That is why you have to disable to automatic recognition.
Otherwise any spool change will trigger a reset to what the chip on the spool dictates.

I am having the exact same problem with PLA Galaxy. Does not matter the slot in a single AMS, or a different AMS altogether.