PLA Support material is not properly supported in the slicer

I tried using the support material only to find several killer problems:

1. The Slicer randomly places the material in the support structure layers instead of just where the support touches the model. This greatly increased the print time and used a lot of PLA Support.
  2. The X1C will register the support material in the AMS but will not allow me to choose it. I had to move the Support material roll to the location selected in the slicer.

My solution was to remove the support material from the model so I could print the model.

1 Like

It’s all in the manual. See below how to select the support material.

1 Like

I did that. The problem, as others have replied, is that it does not work properly. Had I not set that properly, the support plastic would not have been applied anywhere.

I use it on regular base and never had any issues.

That may be but other people have reported the same problem.

Post a photo of your entries. If you leave the entry as “Default”, the filament of your model is used. As @Avgils indicated, the few times I’ve used it, it worked fine. Slow as a turtle though.

The white is the support material as shown in the slicer. It looked the same on the printer too.

Screenshot - 3_28_2024 , 3_55_40 PM

Obviously I did not leave it at default or it would not have inserted the supports randomly in the slicer and on the printer.

I think you’re using the wrong settings. If the white material is the sample included with your printer, it is Interface material, not support material. But I can’t see your settings.

Yes, it is intended to be the interface between a support and the print. That is how I set it up. One layer of the support between the two. Unfortunately, it put the material in randomly. I did not attempt to use it as an entire support, that was left to the PLA used in the print.
What do you think I’m doing wrong?

Well, it’s beyond my experience. I’m not even sure what to ask unless you want to share the file for someone to look at. What I’d be looking at first is what’s going on in the model at those locations. The bottom white layer seems to be aligned with a model transition above the base. Take a look at those layers and see if there’s some empty space or something in the model. Hopefully, someone else will come along that’s seen this before. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Just for grins, I asked Copilot about it. This is the response. Take a look at numbers 4 & 5.

The seemingly random insertion of interface material in supporting filament during 3D printing can occur due to several reasons:

1. Print Settings: Incorrect calibration of print settings such as temperature, print speed, or retraction settings can lead to inconsistent material deposition1.
  2. Material Compatibility: Some materials may not adhere well to each other, causing the interface material to not stick properly and appear randomly inserted2.
  3. Printer Calibration: If the printer is not properly calibrated, the extruder might deposit material inconsistently, leading to random patterns of interface material3.
  4. Slicing Software: The algorithms used by slicing software to generate support structures can sometimes produce unexpected results, especially if the software is not optimized for the specific materials being used1.
  5. Hardware Issues: Mechanical issues with the printer, such as a clogged nozzle or inconsistent extrusion, can also lead to random deposition of interface material3.

To address these issues, it’s important to ensure that the printer is well-calibrated, the materials are compatible, and the print settings are optimized for the specific task at hand. Additionally, using high-quality slicing software and maintaining the printer can help achieve more consistent results142.

Have you tried it with out using tree support, I know sometimes tree support causes issues.

1 Like

The X1C was run on Bambu Lab’s standard settings which have worked very well for over 800 hours of printing. So I don’t expect the Copilot answers to point to the problem.
I am not very happy with the support functions in the software. My 8-year old Qidi printer and software do a much better job at supports.
I did not try non-tree supports and I will do that and report the results.
Thanks for the inputs.
Mike

OK, here is something strange. I am not at my desktop computer and am using my laptop. No matter what support set I choose, the support filament is exactly where it should be as you can see.

The only difference in operation between the two computers is on this laptop, the software offered to set all the values to the proper ones for the use of support material,. Whereas the desktop computer’s software did not offer that and I had to manually set the values.

I may need to reinstall the desktop software.

Now I’ll have to try it on my desktop tomorrow and see if the results differ.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It is the same version of software with the latest little update:
Screenshot - 3_30_2024 , 3_00_15 PM

1 Like

I would actually like to be able to ADD a few support material layers throughout the height of a support structure.
In some cases even the tree supports get so dense it is hard to remove the big chunks before going to the delicate bits.
Even the option to add an interference layer below every junction would be helpful for some of my models…

I keep a pair of Flush-Cut Nippers near my printer. It’s great for cleaning up prints and tidying up the ends of filament.

Yup, even during the print process.

Reloaded Bambu Studio (with the same release number) and the random placement of PLA Support went away.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Mike

Hi,

dont know if I am late to the party, but I faced the same problem and nailed it down to one setting when I am working with variable layer height:

(not allowed to add images)
(engl: Independent support structure layer height)

Setting activated (pink is support material):

Setting deactivated (will not even print all support anymore :frowning:

dont know if this helps, but I guess it has something to do with variable layer hight