PLA Support material sticks like glue

I love the concept of using easy-to-remove support material. But why does mine adhere like glue? I find them impossible to remove. It is no different than any other PLA.

Are these both Bambu brand? I had some issues occasionally and used a scraper to get it off.

It’s been hit or miss for me. I’ve had complicated internal supports pop right out and one part left all of the support on the bed with a very clean surface. Other times, I’ve just given up trying to remove it. Maybe the top interface layer count makes a difference? I know top Z distance does. I’ve not done any testing and have not used support W in a while and I’ve forgotten anything I learned but I would find a test piece that has an easy to reach bridge and run some tests. Change top interface in steps of 2 or 3, probably wouldn’t bother going higher than 5 or 6. Once you’ve found that sweet spot, change top Z distance in 0.05 to 0.1 increments to see if you can find another sweet spot.

Same thing happened to me the other day and I ended up scratching the hell out of my piece. Even after all that it left a white hue to my matt black piece. I’ve had no issues with using the same material as my print I just thought the support PLA was supposed to be a step up not a step down?

Try using PETG as support for PLA (or vice-versa)

They stick but cannot fuse to each other

I have had mixed results with the Bambu Support-W. Some pieces it allows large sections of internal supports to come out easily, but other times the support removes but the interface layer stays behind requiring tedious effort to get under it with a pick or fine scraper which is especially difficult in smaller detailed areas. I won’t be buying more of it when this roll is used up. PETG works better.

I got some PLA support with my printer when I bought it, but I ended up throwing it away and keeping the spool. :grinning:

I did find the tree support works better than the standard, especially with the upper support layer count at 3.

Question. Should the PETG be set for the same temp as the PLA or leave the default settings for PETG? Never tried this before so Im curios.

I recommend starting with the defaults, they are usually adequate, and PETG likely won’t flow well at PLA temps.

You can try both though, experimentation is rarely a bad idea.

Ill give it a try as soon as I get home. Printed the base for a saber holder and the white support PLA just wont come off lol. This does sound like it should work better.

You will use the correct filament profile and any calibration you have done for each filament. The printer will change the hot end temps accordingly for the material it is currently printing.

A good discussion on the topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/BambuLab/comments/16732yt/how_do_i_use_the_support_for_pla_in_bambu_studios/

1 Like