Polycarbonate Carbon Fiber failing to retract/unload

Anybody have any luck with unloading PC CF? Everytime I finish a print my X1C w/ AMS failed to unload. At first I thought it was a Google nozzle or broken filament. I change the entire hotend assembly and upzisizing it from a 0.4 to a 0.6mm to hopefully help with CF causing clogs.

Turns out it’s not failing to to unload due to a clog. I am able get the AMS to retract the PA CF once I disconnect the PTFE tube on top of the print head assembly, but only after doing this. This is incredibly irritating and disruptive to our workflow.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
(I have also fully dryed the filament (80C for 4 hrs.))

I appreciate any help with this.

3 Likes

For sure don’t use a .4 nozzle, as that will be too small for that filament.

I suspect the filament is too brittle/abrasive for the AMS internals. Probably too much friction in the PTFE tubes so it’s not moving backwards well enough. The extruder is strong enough to pull it through, but the AMS isn’t strong enough to pull it back.

Bambu Lab AMS - Automatic Material System - Glow-in-the-dark, particle-infused, or filaments with carbon or glass fibers may be brittle and break inside the AMS, or be abrasive and prematurely wear the internal parts. BambuLabs PA-CF and PAHT-CF, however, have both been designed and tested to be AMS compatible.

Print up a Bowden splitter and print these kind of filaments on a spool outside of the AMS.

1 Like

I have the same problem with PLA-CF, it gets stuck after the print until i open the ams and help to retract it by hand, after it gets free the AMS unloads it. Sounds also more rough compared to other filaments.

Manual load and unload with the AMS is working, only the automatic unload after a print fails. I cannot find the spot where it gets stuck, or the reason why it get stuck after a print.

On the filament page it says „AMS compatible“

2 Likes

I started to notice yellow plastic shavings in the AMS slot feeder from the PLA-CF, so I took it out. Compatible or not, it looks to tear things up. I have not looked yet to see if the Marble PLA is causing similar damage or not. I had some of the PETG-CF delivered last week that I will just bypass the AMS and go straight to feeding out if my Sovol 2-roll heater.

2 Likes

I’ve had no problem printing PA-CF (not PC-CF) with the .4mm nozzle. I wouldn’t use the .2mm nozzle, of course.

FWIW, I have the same problem with generic (Sunlu) PLA. Really annoying and disruptive of my ability to print. Any suggested solutions would be appreciated.

1 Like

See this thread:

I’m still in the middle of fixing mine but @Jrock says it works well

1 Like

Yup

Working flawless since adding those pieces to my feed tubes

In fact I didn’t even change the worn funnel as the printed pieces with the small bowden tube keep the feed path nice and straight even as the spool unwinds moving left and right

I’m so happy you showed me these Matt

Thank you again

1 Like

Rad. My new funnels come today, so that will be awesome to keep those for back up.

I think the issue is the filament coming in at an angle and catching on the original funnel (and/or grinding into it). The feeder with the tube seem to keep it centered and prevent it from happening. Might have to replace the tube eventually but who cares.

1 Like

I actually noticed on my new funnels which I haven’t bothered to install that the plastic funnels are a darker shade of gray

Could just be the pigment they used or maybe the material itself is different

I will change them eventually though, time just hasn’t been in my favor lately

Got a whopping 3 hours of sleep after work last night then right back at it again early this morning

At least I’m never short on work, or at least that’s what I keep telling myself lol

Thank you. I printed the little adapters and problem solved!

1 Like

Ha!! A big thanks to all of you!! Had the same problem, and google led me here…!
Will try the mentioned adapters and try again. Was very frustrating that this happens even with original Bambu PLA-CF. My AMS made terrible noises when trying to onload this filament… :expressionless:

So, back to printing… :slight_smile:
I love this printer and it’s growing community! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I just received my printer yesterday and printed two PLA-CF pieces today and they both stopped at 99% due to this. I hope this is now fixed.

Hello guys!

I printed the same 4 parts with PLA-CF. The first 2 were flawlessly in regard to the unloading of the filament at the end of the print. The last 2 ones, from today, had the problem with the unloading of the filament at the end of the print. Yes, I only have a test spool with (now) less than 250g.

I do want to print the feeder protectors. Will they really help with this kind of problem?

1 Like

setting no plus 25% write in wiki for pla cf another cf over 25% install nozzle 0.6