Poop not in tight bunch

Recently, during purge, the poop sprays all over the chute and therefore will not drop down the chute. Before, the poop would form a nice tight bunch that would easily fall down the chute. Could this be due to wet filament? I have a new .40 nozzle so I know it’s not bent.

Is the door at the bottom of the poop shoot closing when you head moves over it? this is what makes the poop bunch up. You can manually move the lever at the top to see if the door is operating correctly.

1 Like

Thanks for the response Jon. I’ll check that out when I get home from work. If the door isn’t closing do you know how I might fix it?

Well at first when I saw the title “Poop not in tight bunch”, I thought … well… maybe the answer is more fiber in your diet until I realized you were taking about filament. :joy:

Did your “purge” look something like this?

I ask because I had this exact issue two weeks ago with PC filament and as you can see, it was with both white and black. It was the first time printing PC since I had changed out the silicone sock over a month ago. The problem didn’t present itself as exaggerated with PLA but when I looked in the bucket, I realized that my PLA was also stringing a bit.

I suspected that I may have done something to the thermistor when replacing the sock. At any rate, removing the nozzle completely and cleaning out both the sock and the nozzle itself remedied the problem immediately.

This is not proof but it leads me to believe that if the silicone sock or perhaps even the thermistor is causing false temperature readings, the nozzle may be much cooler than the indicator shows. If you think about it this would make sense. As the filament purges, the nozzle at the beginning would be cooler and as it warms up it will then soften and start to produce the tell-tale spiral. At any rate, it’s only a theory.

Its probababily jammed open or, has fallen off, down the chute into your waste bucket.
Repairing it is eitther clear the jam - or replace it if broken \ lost \ damaged

Inspect \ clear it first.
The black lever, controls another bit that opens and shuts the trapdoor \ flap

1. Move the print head out of the way (all the way to tthe front somewhere)
  2. Turn off the printer before doing anything inside it.
  3. Torch or headlamp is great to help see down
  4. Take the top glass off - top down is easiest to see inside - see picture below without it inside pritner to see the various parts.
  5. Look down the rear funnel, if any off this mechanism its clogged with filament (you said it “sprayed” ?) - if its hardend\cold it may be a full chute disassembly to clear it out, it may just be a loose stuck piece.

See #2 - Get a a long handedled tool, your hands if long enough to reach inside (top down) - and move the black lever over to side - as if print head is pushing it … the trap door should close. IT can be hard ot see properly, thus the headlamp or torch helps. If its not closing it, the black lever is jammed or such - thats part off the issue.

This closing off the platform - is what the filament “lands on” and just starts the small little poop spiral by itself. Printer head moves away, trap door drops open - the nozzle is “wiped” and thus cuts the filament away - and then it drops.

However, I am not entirely sure if you mean its “spraying” out from the nozzle, or just not bunching inside the top off that trap door, if its not a clean straight line out of your nozzle, you have a nozzle clog issue (and\or a chute issue - but start with the nozzle, sock, etc).

Finally, difffferent filaments do “bunch” differnetly ,and if you do have wet filament, it will be doing all sorts of wierd things out of the nozzle, pritnts arent great etc etc. I also had a small tear to one side of my silcone sock, just small enough not to quickly notice, in the right spot just to somettimes “catch” the corner of the filament stream at the rear and cause issues too. So if you havce wierd filament “exitiing” the nozzle, I would inspect all that hot end too.

I cant picture spraying… if the trapdoor isnt htere… the wet filament is falling straight down and then gettign dragged and cut off- probabilly not being cooled properly and not bunching up - so yes potentially make a mess. but again - out of the nozzle or just deep inside the chute?

1 Like

Hhaha nice one. So, judge my fiber - think I am ok :stuck_out_tongue: ?

Edit - Picture size might be deceving :stuck_out_tongue: Spirals are no more than 1cm long, approx 0.7cm in diameter - andd thats the big pale blue one in the centre, moistly they are about 0.5cm in diameter, 1cm long approx :stuck_out_tongue: Nice lilttle tight ones hahah

PSA - Regular inspection of your ‘waste’ can save your life :stuck_out_tongue: True fact.

3 Likes

Here is what my poop looks like:
![IMG_4125|281x500](upload://lk4BXyaBYPOvGJg6xJ0i3jHuRyP.jpeg

Both filaments had been dried for 8 hours (Pla) and the chute door is closing. I’ve had the X1C for about 8 months. This just started happening.

This might be caused but a partially clogged nozzle. When a nozzle doesn’t have smooth flow it will often push the filimanet out at an angle to the nozzle instead of a smooth line straight down. Have you tried doing a cold pull?

Those poop examples are from a new never before used complete.4 hot end.

If you heat up the nozzle and extrude filament does it come out in a straight line likes this?

1 Like

Could static electricity cause this?

No. It flutters like there is air blowing it. I’ve completely blocked the air from the fan with my hand and it still does this. Not the hot end fan the cooling fan.

If its “fluttering” without any air, even thou its ‘new’ you have a nozzle or extruder issue.

• Poor extruder operation might lead to poor feeding, causing a trickling feed,
  • or more commonly nozzle issue - some soft of partial lockage, poor nozzle quality, debris, bent or other issue - (even if new out of box) - can also cause this.

There are two really good guide you can do to find out -and- then its a matter of cleaning said issue.
How to check which part is clogged | Bambu Lab Wiki

That link above has then links to the other clog removals, if you not alreadt familiar.

Thanks Druid. This started happening so I purchased a new complete hotend and it is still happening with the new hotend so I don’t think this is an issue with the hotend. Would you agree? The prints are great. Would I notice bad print quality if there was an extruder issue?

I would follow those videos - if you hafve a new hotend, then yes matybe extruder, maybe bad filament, many things. Eliminate video those videos boith extruder and new hotend in isolatiojn, eg nozzle ,manually push a piece of filament through vertical - expect straght stream like picture above etd…

Back to basics, test 1 thing at a time, use wiki and the youtube videos etc.

Here’s what happens when I’m using a .4 mm nozzle. Notice how the extruded filament is waving at round. It’s not in a tight bunch.