Possible Fix for Ghosting / VFA Artifacts with Speed Adjustments

Hi all,

I noticed some users and posts about ringing / banding / ghosting. I noticed this after I tried to print the cascade wallet.

It seemed odd to me that the ringing would happen so prominently on this print. I noticed it less on other prints and sometimes it would be very faint.

I went down a path and found a Facebook post that outlines Bambu support advising someone to print outer walls faster – away from 120 mm/s. But that’s odd, I thought because my slicer settings were set to 200 mm/s for the outer wall.

On another inspection of the “Speed” dropdown in preview, I realized that it was not actually printing outer walls at 200 mm/s and in-fact, at the exact layers where the ringing shows up more prominently, it was printing at or around 120 mm/s.

I found out the reason it slowed the print down was because of two things:
(1) I was using Generic PLA filament and the max volumetric speed (flow rate) is set to 12 mm^3/s. It caps the upper limit of the speed.
(2) In the Cooling section of the filament, the “Slow printing down for better layer cooling” was checked.

So my guess is that as long as I uncheck the “Slow printing down” and bump up the flow rate, this issue should be mostly resolved. Unfortunately, the filament I’m using it cheap and I won’t be able to bump up the flow rate easily. However, even with just the “Slow printing down” unchecked, the outer walls print at ~170mm/s which should be fast enough to avoid the 120 mm/s.

But you may ask – how to slow printing down for small items, the point is to give time for the material to cool and harden? Well, I think you can just print multiple of each item. It’s not an elegant solution but it should work to increase per-layer time.

I have not done another print yet of this wallet because I don’t want another one but it was a eureka moment and I wanted to share it with everyone.

Also, for me, this issue is more obvious on the x-axis. So one more possible option is to rotate the model.

It would be great if others test and see if this is replicable or if this helps fix their banding issues.

Link to the changes?

It is well documented - any speed above 160-170 greatly reduces belt pattern rippling that you see here.

Also making sure your printer is mechanically sound helps a lot - no rubbing belts on the flanges of the pulleys, the right tension and equal left and right and a square gantry.

I’ve solved it by printing above 180 or under 30mm/sec for the external walls. Between 30mm/sec and 70 or so you see stepper motor vibrations. Between 70-170 or so you see belt pattern resonance. So set either above that speed or below that depending on what you print.

1 Like

Or please check if your timing belt on X axis is gliding with teeth on a flat pulley. Teeth should be on a ribbed pulley, otherwise your tool head might vibrate from these 2mm micro steps…