Potential Painful Blow to FDM Printing in the US

This.
I think Stratasys will lose on at least the heated bed issue, but I am considering stocking up on a few parts (extruders, belts, etc.) while I know I can, something I had not planned on yesterday.

I don’t consider X1Plus to be a complete firmware, it is mostly just an improved interface added to the closed source Bambu firmware. Motor control, for instance, is entirely done with Bambu’s base firmware, as downloaded from the Bambu servers. Without that base X1Plus is useless. I’m OK with that, as I am happy with the current firmware, but improvements like the recent addition of noise cancelling would be impossible.

True…except if BL will respect it’s commitment (as stated by its CEO) and renders it’s source code public, as open source…then we have a totally different ballgame.

PS - And somehow, I sort of have foreseen this coming… (no, i haven’t :grin:) and begun ordering spares for most of my X1C since January this year…building up my spares stock. The reason being the BL’s specifications in their T&Cs… Thought to play it safe, and considering the many posts and complaints from frustrated users, and “run out of stock” when needing spares, I’ve decided to purchase now and then what available spares there are… And now I’m covered

Bambu has had backers from the beginning and is probably worth more than Stratasys.

1 Like

Uhh unless I’ve been skirting some sort of law Everytime I’ve gone to microcenter, NY does NOT make you get a background check for 3d printers :face_with_monocle: ?

1 Like

NYPD sir, if you could step over here we’d like to have few words with you… lol. It’s an actual bill that is still in progress, it’s seems a little crazy to me. If they start requiring background checks for printers we’ll enter the age of Voron lol.

No offense, but what we’re doing here is simply guesswork without having any concrete info except for the info in the legal claim submitted by Stratasys to the court. It might turn out to be as you say, or it might turn out to be as I say…or it might turn out to be neither … Ultimately, it’s up to BL’s management and their appointed legal team to assess the situation and the existing evidence , and decide their course of action. Eventually, we might find out, either from them, or from other public sources, what’s gonna be. Until such time, we should make sure that if the worse case scenario comes to pass, we are covered with the necessary spares for as long as possible.

2 Likes

I honestly thought this day would come sooner. Funny conspiracy theories here though. I tried saying over a year ago that bambu was just reusing existing tech and software. Lets hope others dont come out of the woodwork to hit them while theyre down. Because I love my bambu printers. They may have copied, but they did it better.

2 Likes

It seems that the US (or at least some states) regulators have taken a liking of Orwell’s “Nineteen Eighty-Four” and are working hard to transpose it and make it a part of American lives…

5 Likes

Me too. I thought for sure at some point it would come to light that there was some “borrowed” IP from DJI lol.

Sorry, I added more after you liked. Just a heads up, in case you dont agree with it all.

My “like” stands. Even though I have enough spare parts to last the rest of my life (and I wish they would fix their customer service) I don’t have any ill will against them.

1 Like

Prusa has wipe towers (at least PrusaSlicer and Slic3r). Snapmaker’s Cura-based slicer “Luban” has them for sure for use with the dual extruder print module. Why don’t they involve Prusa with their multi-nozzle Prusa XL? Or Snapmaker with their dual extruder system? They probably only see BBL as a direct competitor in the industrial segment of the market. That’s fair, but it shows that they do not really care about the patent, only about undermining the success of their competitor.

8 Likes

The Chinese government would probably step in and do the buyout themselves to protect every Chinese business that makes and sells 3D printers and parts. Worst case scenario is that they would ban imports on anything that had to do with bambu printers or parts sold directly from bambu. They would simply just stopped doing business in the USA as they have businesses everywhere. Headquarters is in China. I highly doubt if they were to get sued that they could go to China and ask them to seize any assets. Now any assets they have here in the United States like the three warehouses and any bank accounts in the US maybe seized but I’m pretty sure they don’t keep their money here.

Given the amount of time these things take I’ll wait to collect my acorns beore proclaiming the sky is falling.

THE only thing that bothers me is Texas. Wish they’d secede already.

2 Likes

I live in Upstate New York, they also tried to modify one of the bills where it says you can’t even destroy any 3D printed guns or parts. The state is ridiculous but with a couple of the recent rulings in the supreme Court we might get a leg to stand on here since we had the strictest gun laws in the country. They struck down part of the wording when you try to get a pistol permit so you don’t need proof as to why you need a pistol and you don’t need recommendations from anyone. They also ruled in favor that some convicted felons are not barred for life from owning a firearm because convicted felons after serving their sentence and or parole or probation are still part of the people. It’s funny how they used to have an office where you could get your certificate of relief from disabilities or a certificate of good conduct but that office had been closed for many years with no one that worked there. Now in order to get one of those two things you need to go to court and then they do an investigation either from your probation officer or from the department of corrections.

1 Like

It’s a bill they’ve been trying to pass for quite some time. They have already passed similar bills that ban goes guns and things like that like bump stocks parts anything that has to do with a firearm is banned.

I was wondering when the patent and license war the US started will reach us.

I first noticed this development here in AU a few months after the lockdowns ended.
Seems the entire western world keeps following the WEF blindly.
While the printing world (so far) is not affected in AU, we feel the pinch in other sectors already.
Small and usually family owned business forced to close or to pay horrendous sums to keep their CUSTOM logo, layout or goods looking similar to what some US companies provide.
Infringement notices send out for things that not always make any sense…

While this only goes for US companies or rich individual, there also is clear indication that our government is working on cleaning the tables.
Take the lucrative resale market as just one example.
We know that companies like FB use head offices only where it suits them, like In Ireland.
That is done for legal reasons of course and to save money.
When I blamed Bambu for being unwilling to provide LOCAL support and head offices in the printer markets I was not aware that at least the AU government does not like this idea.
Like many other companies owned by the Chinese party in more or less direct ways, the fear of interference is real.
Interference not so much in political terms but in terms of messing with local market and competitors.

All this weird behaviour by our governments and corporations though is set out in paper.
Klaus Schwab, founder and head of the World Economic Forum, not only announced that the pandemic is a great opportunity just hours after it was declared a global event…
He also provide the paper “The great reset”.
In there the entire shift from on-demand-production back to local manufacturing and warehousing is well explained.
Together with statements in regards to how vital it is to become less dependent on imports while strengthening the export market.
In a nutshell: Make sure the people and companies won’t be able to import things at much lower prices than what you can provide.
Be that through added import taxes and duties or by making the business of providing cheap imports less and less profitable.

When we look at the tools used we can often only wonder…
Highest on the list of companies making patent and copyright claims against companies NOT located in Allied countries are the same that in the last few decades made their fortunes by outsourcing to China, India and Pakistan.
They knew from day one that China has no such thing as copyrights or product protections - but they accepted this and accepted that China copied whatever they asked them to produce for them.
Problem is that China, not only has the cheaper labour rates and available resources but that they are really good at improving and simplifying our designs and creations.
The world can’t do without China and China knows this.
Those fake war games and claims China is our enemy ?
If that would be real then why won’t China react to our ongoing provocations, why won’t WE stop doing big business with them ??? :wink:

Not all is bad though…
No one can stop China from doing what they do best.
And until we can actually close the door on them to lock them out of our markets not much will change.
To give you an idea how creative government can be let me give you another one from AU:

Quite a few years back our government OFFERED China great deals to buy land and infrastructure.
They did so by allowing Chinese investors to buy in AU as if they were locals.
And Chinese citizens in AU prospecting for new homes had a field day.
Then they woke up and wanted to know how much China already owns and that sent out shockwaves.
Ever since we saw export bans for AU products going to China - for products only the richest in China can afford.
We also saw how import tariffs and such were increased or invented for things China never had an issue sending down here.
First highly priced things, shortly after fixed to include anything priced at $1000AU or above.
Resulting in some $1200 gadget seeing up to $350AU added to the price through import taxes and duties.
Quite soon this shall be wound down to just $200AU, all above that will get extra taxed.
On the other hand WE export more coal and iron ore to China now than ever before - go figure…
Chinese companies already have a hard time setting foot in AU now.
And some even jumped off the market with those recent changes the pandemic provided.
Having an official headoffice in AU these days means being liable for things other companies have not to worry about.
Like being required to have all product documentation, packing and all to AU standards - which often change…
Or having to provide a legal address as well.
Meaning court cases would be settled in local courts and under AU conditions.
Many companies already gave up trying as it is next to impossible to get those things sorted without feeling it is an intentionally created hassle…
Still cheaper to suck up the taxes for exporting to AU or to just forward them to the buyer than having to deal with local offices and legalities.

We will see more and more companies and corporations going hardcore on China now - because now these get the full backing of their governments…

2 Likes

This should be highly illegal. They shouldn’t be allowed to go after some companies for this but ignore others, there are plenty of US based companies that are doing exactly what Bambu is in regards to any alleged patent infringement. If they win with Bambu then the same ruling should be applied fairly to everyone.

The whole thing is nonsense though and the patent system is broken, they should not be giving out patents on concepts in the first place in fast moving fields and any patents they do give out should be for a few years at most, any longer just holds the industry back.

I don’t have an AMS, but if I did, and if we could not use a purge tower, I would simply make sure I printed a cubic object on every print.

1 Like

Good answer!!! Sometimes the simplest of ideas are the best.