Presliced benchy settings?

The super fast 17 min benchy that’s included with the printer, does anyone know what the settings used were?

Using BS, the default 0.2mm Standard @ BBL X1C profile shows print estimate of 48m. Sure, at Ludicrous speed, it’ll be a lot less than that, but it’s still not going to be 17 min.

3 Likes

The included benchy was almost certainly “hand sliced”, and could not be replicated with the BS software in its current state. I do not mean that somebody wrote the GCODE by hand, but that speeds and settings were varied throughout the print, which is not something currently supported by BS. Anywhere the print could be sped up (possibly beyond the standard ludicrous settings) without failing, it was. Specific features that fail at high speeds were printed just below those speeds, allowing the printer to print faster for everything else.

Someone spent a lot of time fine-tuning that slice, and they utilized settings and functions that are not available to us mere users at this time.

2 Likes

Yeah I figured it might be that. How do we even get our hands on that gcode? It’s in the printer, can I copy it off so I can have a look at it?

It’s a little annoying to be honest, because how many of us bought the X1 because of this demo. Only to find out that oh, yeah the X1C is fast, but… not really that fast.

I mean, before shelling out the cash, I sliced the Benchy on PrusaSlicer using my normal profile, and it said 1:31 min. So I thought, oh my god, a 17 min benchy? That’s more than 5x faster!

Now that I have the X1C, but BS says it will take 48 min, which is about 2x faster. So I feel a little annoyed. Because clearly this printer hardware on my desk, using my filament, is capable of printing approx 5x faster, but I am not able to access that because I don’t know what settings were used.

2 Likes

A tip from a youtube comment suggested that if I try using the Bambu Basic PLA setting, I’ll get my 17 min benchy from BS.

I gave it a try, and while it didn’t get quite there at 0.2 layer height, but at 0.24mm Draft mode, BS reports standard speed print time of 29:36, which means at ludicrous mode, 166%, it’d be 17.8min!

Comparing this and the Generic PLA profile I based my PLA setting on, I see two differences are the max volumetric speed is at 21mm^3/s, and max fan speed layer time is 4s (vs 8 in the generic profile).

Applying those changes to the Generic PLA profile, and voila, BS happily reports the same standard print time!

Well I am very happy with this discovery (more just understanding of BS I think), it means we really can access all the speed we were marketed when we shelled out the money!

4 Likes

100% kinda think that “17 minute benchy” is sales shenanigans. Even the presliced benchy that came on my X1 carbon reports 24 minutes . The best I’ve been able to do with the official benchy .stl imported into BS is 33 min @ 0.28mm (“Extra Draft”) with Bambu PLA Basic.

I guess I’ll have an Anker and see if they can really do a 17m benchy. With my other prints, I’m seeing a 2X improvement in speed on the X1 carbon at 0.1mm over my Qidi X-Max running at 90mm/s. FWIW the XMax was able to print a near perfect benchy @ 0.1mm 120mm/s but it takes 122 minutes even at that print speed.

1 Like

The 24 minutes includes the preflight stuff, including a calibration run. When it starts actually laying down filament 17 minutes remain

2 Likes

Im a newbie. X1c is my second printer after adventurer 4

I’ve done side by side slices w the settings on adv 4 that work ( no hs nozzle or settings ) and the default x1c slicer settings based on filament used … Esun pla is 3 to 4 times faster on x1c I printed trex head today on x1c in 65 min and flash print estimated 3 hours and 40 min

I don’t run a farm and don’t do commercial or production work so a 3x improvement is impressive to me