Print Head Rear Cover

Lasr week my printer started to have unusual poops. Long and stringy, hanging up in the poop chute. Triggering the high level alarm.

The next day I noticed the rear cover was breaking apart. So when the print head went to perform a perfect poop it wasn’t able to close the poop chute door. Thus the long and stringy poops.

Here is a couple of pics.

It took 4 days to get parts to the house. Good job Bambu Lab USA!
It took about 10 minutes to change out the cover.
Back to perfect poops again!

So if you see long stringy poops check your back cover.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Wow! How did that happen to begin with. That looks almost like something shorted out. Glad to hear that BL stepped up and got you parts quickly though.

No nothing shorted out. That is residual left from printing ABS. I only print with Polymaker polylite ABS.

But i do think that the continued high heat printing got the best of that cover.

This is with 1818hrs and one month out of warranty.
This is also the first thing that broke on my printer.

Quite happy with the whole situation

1 Like

Fascinating piece of data though. I wonder if in addition to the heat, does the evaporative styrene of ABS attack the plastic of the cover?

So i took the old cover and started to heat up my Hakko soldering iron. When it got to 240 it started to melt by the time i got to 255 it was really moving thru the wall of the cover. So does ABS offgas deteriorate ABS?

The wall where it failed is only one millimeter thick. Besides the area that had catastrophic failure the other side also had a vertical crack about five millimeters long. Other than that there was no other signs of wear from the poop lever.

Maybe one of BL engineers will see this post.

1 Like

Material fatigue may also play into weakening of the plastic with the repetitive force applied to it. I would agree that the discoloration looks like abs off gassing. I’ll have to check the colour of mine as I mostly print ABS as well.

5 Likes