Print Not Complete - Printer Says 100%

Please help. I am new here and new to 3D printing in general, please be gentle if I get this all wrong… I set a print to go last night that would take just over 15 hours to complete. I am using PLA-CF (not the new PAHT-CF), printing on a hot bed with tree supports, no special settings except a 5mm brim due to surface area on the plate being small and I have ironing for topmost surface turned on. Filament spent hours in the dryer prior to being loaded into the AMS.

I have 2 machines - I have printed this part on my other machine before successfully. I recently made one adjustment (screw hole size) and decided to print 2 on a single plate on my other machine. I am using Bambu Studio for slicing.

I was notified that the filament ran out, I had spool #2 waiting in the dryer and changed it out. A couple hours later, I check on it and I had the “failed to pull back filament” error. The screen told me the print was 99% complete with 0 layers to print. I got the filament to release and set everything back in order. I told it to “retry” and it unloaded the filament successfully, dropped the print bed and “completed” the print. I took the prints off the bed and realized that it only printed about 2/3 of the part.

I don’t see anything about this in the forum, so I am hopeful someone can point me to a solution or at least where I might find the solution. Did the filament jam cause the print to be truncated? Was the print truncated because of a bug and the filament error was just an added bonus? Were these 2 completely separate events that just came together for my enjoyment and learning?

I have had the filament error before without having a truncated print, so I am confused. Thank you for any ideas, solutions or threads you can send my way.

At a guess, for reasons I could only speculate on, when you switched to spool #2 it wasn’t feeding and you didn’t notice and the printer didn’t notice. So the printer spent the next few hours doing something called “air printing”. Going through the motions without actually extruding anything. So the print “finished” with a large part unprinted…

4 Likes

Oh…that sounds extremely plausible and a likely scenario. Thank you for your insight! I have experienced the “air printing” before but usually it would be accompanied by a warning of some kind and usually at the beginning of a print due to adhesion issues. I would not have thought of that happening mid-print! I will be much more attentive after filament changes!! Thank you!