Print profile or new model?

I noticed that there are users who upload the same model twice. One colored and one plain .
Shouldn’t these sub-models be loaded as a print profile?
Even reporting them as duplicate uploads, very often nothing happens and this system is often used to upload models that could not participate in competitions because they are models already known.

What do you think? In my opinion they should be loaded as a print profile.

1 Like

Yes.

If the model geometry of the two is identical but one is colour, the other not - this is ONE model.

If the only geometry differences are due to the ability to colour one over the single-colour one - that isn’t sufficient reason to have two models.

One model and two profiles.

Do you have an example to share?

IMO
If there are adaptations made on the design to make it multi colour, it’s a remix and that doesn’t bother me if it’s uploaded as is.
But if it’s the exact same model and it’s just painted. It should be uploaded as a print profile.

1 Like

You wouldn’t be remixing your own work though.

This is about the same creator uploading two identical models, one colour, one not.

I introduced the idea that geometry changes only related to colour do not make the same model into two different models. The differences are for the print profiles again, by the same designer.

I don’t see any issue of remixing your own models. Did I misunderstood what you were saying?

If it’s the exact same model, no question, it should just be another print profile.

If there are design changes I’m less categorical. It depends on the extends of the changes I’d say.

But I think there are bigger issues than that. Unless it’s clear that the designer is exploiting it by posting multiple colored versions of the same model. I wouldn’t take the time to report it, it’s too subjective.

I was trying to make it clear this was one designer adding two models that are identical other than coloured or not coloured.

Not one designer has provided a single-colour version of their design with a different user adding a profile that adds colour to it.

I sometimes add colour to a model by a different designer, print it, take a photo and provide the profile back to the designer’s upload. There are a few I have done this for, one in particular, I have created a profile with colour for every model they upload as they tend to leave them a single colour. I like the model, I like it in colour, and I give back to the wider community.

I have never had anyone ever ask me to stop and with a few of them, we chat occasionally.

1 Like

It was clear don’t worry. I was referring to the same scenario in my previous comments.

I would be flattered is someone added a colored print profile to one of my models.
And since not everyone has an AMS thus not every designer can create a colored print profile and test print it.
Doing this added real value to the model IMHO.
Creativity and generosity should always be encouraged :slight_smile:

I did this one a while ago, a more than 20-hour print, so people could get a 5-colour model from a 4-colour AMS. I also explained in detail how and why it works in the profile.

I also make a colour version for each Worm in this Worm Collection because they are great.

One of my Willies is an honorary member.

1 Like

Interesting, I need to read that. I pin that for tomorrow. Now it’s time to get some sleep ^^ see you :wink:

I couldn’t wait and read your profile description. That’s funny because two days ago I was wondering if it was possible to do exactly that. I have my answer now, thanks :wink:

You are welcome.

I use the technique a lot and add it to a number of my profiles for specific designs.

A practical example

Exactly same model but only colored. I think it was supposed to put it under the print profile of the model created previously

They are not the same.

The coloured one has additional geometry to achieve the colouring performed on the model not easily possible on the original one.

As an example, look at the dark green section at the top, which is more material to allow a surface to print, one not available on the original model.

I would still have added it as a profile to the existing one, but, then I would have launched them at the same time.

It looks like they created the first one, and it became successful.

They considered adding a coloured one and realised a bit of work was needed and did that. They then figured the original has been there for some time and I would like to promote the new coloured one, the best way to achieve that is not to add a profile as it would not be anywhere near as discoverable.

I can imagine they didn’t think it would be popular at the start if they added a coloured one if they were only going to get a few downloads.

As they have only done it once, I doubt it is a big thing to worry about.

After all the changes Maker world introduced im not surprised people try to game the system. I’m sure we will soon see ton of people re uploading popular designs that reached a lot of downloads to reset the download counter.

Do you thing it’s doable to do an hot swap on the AMS lite. Or is it require to add a PAUSE.

I hot-swap all the time.

I do this because of the current print.

I also do this to get ready for the next print.

Imagine you have red, green, blue and yellow on the AMS (or AMS lite) for a current print and yellow isn’t needed for the current print or was needed but no longer needed even though the print continues, the next print needs red, green, blue and white - I remove yellow during the print and add white.

When the print finishes, I tell the filament settings about the yellow to white swap. It saves a bit of time.

This never causes any issues.

Cool thank you, I need to try that as well :slight_smile: