Print/Send hangs at "preparing print job"

This has been a problem off and on for me for a while and I’m about done. It’s intermittent and I can’t figure out what the pattern is, except that it usually happens when I’m in a hurry to print something (of course). My printer is (always) LAN-mode only.

In studio, I slice and then send to printer. It’s talking to the printer fine because I can load the video, AMS status, and even the send box does the refresh to see what filament is loaded, etc. When I go to send/print (both send and print behave the same), it says “preparing print job” and hangs there for 10 seconds or so. Then it pops up the “check your IP and passcode” box. Clicking “test” fails the same way.

Sometimes if I power cycle the printer a bunch of times it will start working. Usually I’m in a hurry so I have to go get the SD card, put it in my laptop, export the file, stick it back in the printer, and print it manually (which is ridiculous). Lots of times when that print is done, I’ll do another (without rebooting the printer or doing anything else) and it’ll send over the network fine.

Doing some network sniffing, the MQTT connection is fine (which is why studio can refresh the resources) but the FTPS connection is hanging during initialization (either login, or similar) which is why studio thinks the code is wrong. When it’s working, I can FTP manually to the printer with something like filezilla or other tools. When the problem is happening to studio, the same exact FTP profile hangs during login as well.

The printer is on its own WAP in a room with no other contention.

Things I’ve tried:

• Factory resetting the printer
  • Updating the printer (it’s up to date)
  • Power cycling the printer (hundreds of times)
  • Going to cloud mode and back to LAN mode
  • Formatting the SD card (thinking it might be failing to read the card and hanging)
  • Using a different SD card
  • Using OrcaSlicer
  • Using other computers
  • Making sure my laptop is on the exact same WAP as the printer
  • Putting the printer and my laptop on a dedicated SSID and subnet
  • Leaving it in LAN mode but letting it talk to the internet
  • Wishing the printer had wired ethernet so I could take WiFi out of the picture
  • Cursing a lot and shopping for other printers

I previously opened a bug with Bambu about this and they were sure I just needed to reboot my computer. Of course that didn’t help because all the computers on the network suffer the same behavior when it happens. It was very intermittent back then and since the response was so unhelpful I just gave up. Usually it takes a few reboots of the printer and it starts working again, and it goes WEEKS without manifesting. Lately it’s been happening a lot and I’m beyond fed up with it.

Before I open another ticket with them (and get more frustrated, I’m sure), has anyone seen this behavior? Have any ideas for me?

1 Like

I’ve experienced precisely the same behavior, which is how I found this thread. It’s happening right now and I’m just power cycling until it works. I have two Unifi access points and I thought it was having trouble roaming or something, so I locked it to the closest AP. Didn’t help. I noticed it could still be pinged just fine, I could pull up the camera feed and AMS status in Bambu Studio, etc. So, as you said, the FTP server seems to be the culprit here. Verrrryyy frustrating.

Yeah, I used to solve it by power cycling as well. Then it would take several power cycles to fix. Now it’s been broken for over a week and no amount of power cycling is working. It is insanely frustrating. I wish I could look at the logs and see if it’s looking for something, or what the error is but the stupid closed ecosystem means the logs are encrypted. I’ve had a ticket open with bambu for days with no response.

I use this machine for semi-production and it’s ridiculous to have to sneaknet everything onto the SD card and wait days for a response from support.

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one I guess, so thanks for that :slight_smile:

i am having the same issue dont know what to do. sends print but is stuck at 100% and never sends the print but i am able to access the printer and everything thought the pc.

Same for me. The status page shows partial outage for cloud printing.

If this started today, there was a server outage starting two hours ago.

Back up now though.

I think maybe the last few people to reply don’t realize - I’m talking about LAN-mode only here. Direct send to printer without the cloud.

I refuse to have a cloud-connected appliance like this, and if ya’ll are having a cloud outage right now, that’s a good reason for why. The irony is that this printer is air-gapped for reasons similar to what ya’ll are experiencing right now and it STILL doesn’t work right :frowning:

Same for me. I’m in LAN only mode as you described. I really don’t understand, what’s the problem. LAN settings and connection is ok.

Yeah, I dunno. I have had a few replies from Bambu to my ticket, all completely useless. They offer very short and very irrelevant suggestions several days apart. They’ve suggested things like “try a different file”, ignoring the fact that my ticket says that I’ve tried multiple files, from multiple computers, etc. When I begged them to look in the logs for the printer (since I can tell that it’s the FTPS login command hanging) they say “looks like the network is working fine” despite their own software throwing up an error about being unable to connect to the printer.

Right now I have a $1500 printer that only prints from manual SD cards. It’s pretty ridiculous and the “support” I’m getting from support is the worst I’ve ever experienced in a long time. I have zero faith they’re taking it seriously or will come to any sort of resolution.

Wow, that’s disturbing. And you did a good job for them to find out the SFTP problem as the technical issue.
I have observed this behavior. If a print job ends and I get the printed thing out of the printer, I sometimes forget to click on the success message box on the display.
Actually I always have the 10% hang issue then at the start of the next print job.
BUT, if I click it to end the dialog on the display, the issue doesn’t disappear.

Wow, that’s disturbing. And you did a good job for them to find out the SFTP problem as the technical issue.

So far I’ve gotten zero useful help from support for any issue I’ve contacted them about. I’m starting to realize that this locked-down system either works or doesn’t. If it doesn’t, you can’t really expect support to help you. It’s very disappointing.

I have observed this behavior. If a print job ends and I get the printed thing out of the printer, I sometimes forget to click on the success message box on the display.
Actually I always have the 10% hang issue then at the start of the next print job.
BUT, if I click it to end the dialog on the display, the issue doesn’t disappear.

Hmm, even if the next print is after a power cycle? My workflow is generally:

1. Remotely turn on the printer with a smart outlet
  2. Send a print
  3. Go fetch it when done
  4. Turn off the printer via smart outlet (sometimes before #3)

Thus unless the dismissing the “print done” dialog is triggering some bug that survives beyond the power cycle, I don’t think that’s my issue.

Bambu Studio has been crashing a lot (Mac) for me since v1.9. It’s nice that it will recover your project after but still. I’ve had issues with sending files directly to SD card for a while where it will ask me to check if printer is on the same network (when it blatantly is). Today it gave me the error message again even though I could view the live camera feed, so it was clearly connected.

I refreshed the pairing code on the printer then Bambu Studio beachballed and I ended up having to force quit. Turned printer off/on and relaunched Studio and it all worked fine. Until the next time!