Printed TPU from spool loader, now getting 07ff 8003 113021

I have had my Bambu X1 Carbon + AMS for two days, and have printed only a few items (one multicolor print, came out well). I have now printed a TPU object (from back spool). I unloaded the filament, it told me to pull back the filament from the tube, which I did, completely. For some reason, I cannot seem to get past 07ff 8003 113021 error. A frend who has a P1S advised me to look in the top of the print head (I removed the PTFE and had a look, I don’t see anything). On the Filament tab, printer shows that Spool Holder filament is in use, and unload always results in this code. What might I try?

Text of error: Please pull out the filament on the spool holder from the estruder or check if there is filament broken in the extruder, if AMS is to be used later, please connect PTFE tube tot he couple and click the Retry button.

From the top of the hotend, I see nothing after removing PTFE: (Sorry the picture is not completely clear, but I think it reveals what needs to be known.)

I don’t see anything in the wiki for that error number. Does it give any text along with the error to let you know what the issue is?

On the device tab, does your AMS look like this or is the line from the spool to the print head dark? If it’s dark, there may be a piece of filament in the top of the extruder that is holding the filament present switch made.
AMS filaments

This is the lever that the filament pushes against to make the switch. With my printer, TPU doesn’t cut all the way through and can bring up a blob from the hot end. So far it’s come all the way out but I can see where it might break off at this lever.

Here are the instructions on removing the switch

Here are the instructions on how to clear an extruder clog

If you take anything apart in the print head, be extremely careful with the electrical connectors! There are reports of the housings coming off the pins on the PCB and of the whole connector coming off the PCB. Mine had glue holding the plug in the socket for one of the extruder cables. I had to very carefully pick at it to get it loose. The plug for the thermistor had a release lever, squeeze it before pulling it out of the socket.

3 Likes

Thanks, @lasermike ! This is very detailed, much appreciated. I will look into that switch shortly. Meanwhile, I have edited my post - I misread the error code 110021 should have been 113021. Very sorry. Anyway, I also added a couple of photos to the post, should help clarify. I’ll look at those instrructions now. I’m coming from Prusa MK3S (self-built) so not a complete stranger to 3DP hardware, but this is about as similar, to me, as rock is to an airplane.

You are welcome and it does look like there is a piece of filament in the area of the switch.

Here are instructions on clearing a nozzle clog. This is less invasive than taking things apart. I recently had a TPU clog in the hot end that folded the filament over just under the extruder gears. I had to take the extruder out and completely apart to clear it from the extruder. After putting the extruder back together, I left the hot end dangling by it’s wires and used the little pin through the nozzle and an Allen wrench from the top to get it cleared out. It was quite the adventure. I only burned myself once. Doing it this way greatly increases the risk of pulling a socket from the board since the weight of the hot end plus what ever you are doing to it is pulling on the connectors.

I assume there are videos on YouTube showing how to deal with a nozzle clog, I may have seen one without remembering it and thought I invented my technique. :wink:

2 Likes

Had the same problem. I don’t know how, but the spring of the extruder switch lever jumped to the wrong side of the lever. So if there was no filament present the lever was close enogh to the senor to indicate that there is filament.

1 Like