Printer head hits walls

I think @JonRaymond got it. I did a factory reset, and it now prints. So yes, I think if you print from a gcode file with the wrong printer profile that something gets saved on the printer, and from there on out it won’t work correctly.

At least for errors brought on by the wrong printer profile, a factory reset seems to fix things.

1 Like

@BambuLab replying to my own conclusion here: The printer should not, ever, store base machine settings from a given gcode file.

It shouldn’t, but it shouldn’t even get to that point. It should error out that the 3mf is from a non compatible machine.

Thinking about it more it, the printer might have changed an internal setting/reference as a result of the initial crash from running the A1 code, not because of gcode changing a setting. This is just a guess.

6 Likes

I sliced a part and the same thing happened, I think it had something to do with the Gcode created for that model as I resliced it and the problem stopped.

1 Like

So in essence the more problems you have the more you post and the greater the options you have in the forum, which leads new users like myself to post more text even though my problems are only a learning curve which could end up describing me as a spammer, it is paradoxical LOL

It actually isn’t a metric of how much you post, rather how much you read the forum.

5 Likes

As I was reading your reply I was granted Basic status!

I too fell for the same issue! when I make changes in Bambu Studio they don’t all save and I have to check my settings every time I slice, this may be the point at which I start using Orca Slicer unless I can fix the issue.

I have not yet missed a setting after I save my work in a project. Saving your own work should be a matter of course.

Best regards!

Oh I save it as a project but when starting a new project I seem to get a set of default variables that need to be changed every time, what I am attempting to do is have my own choice of settings when starting a new project.

If I’ve modified a Process preset, I can’t change presets, close a Project, change Projects, or leave the program without being asked to Discard/Transfer/Save the changes.

Same for changes in Filament presets.

When I open Studio, it is using the last used Printer, filament and Process.

If I choose to save a process for general use, it gets a descriptive new name and is available as User Preset.

If I’m using a standard or user preset and decide to make a change that will be unique to the current project (perhaps a particular infill or support), I select the “Project Inside Preset” button (yes, the wording is backward), and that setting combination is saved within the project without affecting the main preset.

I have to actively choose to Discard a change to lose it.

The OrcaSlicer fork inherits the same behavior.

How do you fix the tension if it’s way off? Mine is way off and I have re-set the tension Bambu Wiki method and it has not helped the door getting popped off. I also have a layer shift problem that is exactly off front to back like the cutter lever is off in the right corner making the print head pop off.

It’s possible that the belt has come loose from it’s anchors at the print head. If it’s popped out by one tooth, the tension adjusters might not have enough travel to properly tension the belt. Or if a bearing has failed, it’s effective diameter can be reduced also causing tension issues.

See this wiki for how to replace the belts. It shows the anchor points. The belt can also fail due to the internal Kevlar strands breaking. This shows up as a section with more space between the teeth.

Does the head move left/right and or front/back very easily for a fraction then get stiff due to the motor drag? I would think if it moves even a couple of millimeters that’s a bad sign but I can’t check mine right now as I’m running an overnight print.

Lastly, check as much of the belts as you can see for debris packed into the teeth. That could throw things off. Push the head all 'round feeling for a tight spot or a jump in required force.

It turned out that it was all because of a PTFE tube guide that I had installed on the print head called ‘the trumpet’. It was too tall and was hitting the frame of the printer in the front.

Glad to hear you found the culprit. I’ve done things like that. I just had my first clogged nozzle yesterday. I ignored the face that TPU loves water and that I’d let it sit out for a few days before storing it.

Support had me replace the AP board on the printer. They are saying they believe the SD card reader is malfunctioning - I am waiting on them to change out the serial number in their system so I can sync the printer with studio/handy and test - I will update when I know more.

Any updates on solving the issue? I’ve tried everything. Had a support ticket with Bambu, factory reset, cleaned and adjusted belts, updated everything, still having the issue where the head runs into the front left corner. It misses the cut lever that sits on the front left of machine, re adjust, then properly cuts so it can switch colors or whatever. Please help

Same problem. Just found the drag chain had snapped in three places.

I was having this issue also but realised that my printer setting in BambuStudio was to the A1 and not the X1 carbon which is my correct printer. Not sure if this is helpful but that worked for me.

This happened to me when I printed a Makerworld thing. Couldn’t be bothered to figure out how to prevent it so have not used Makerworld since. Also, it blew out all of my filament profiles which I found annoying.