Printer head hits walls

Having the same issue. Only a month old. Cleaned everything, did the belt adjustments, re-calibrated, verified that I have bambu studio to the right printer and plate but it still happens. Hits hard enough to knock the cover off.

On every print or just one print?

3 Likes

Every one right now. It didnā€™t do this until the last few days.

I reset my printer back to factory settings and the issue went away so far.

This issue has just started for me as well. On one of my X1Cs and a P1S. I have been using the x1c for about 8 months and a few months on the p1s. This is very frustrating as they are work printers for income and its failing big prints right at about 99%

Have you tried a full factory reset and calibration?

5 Likes

Running them now. Just came to see if anyone knows why this is happening. Is this a firmware or issue with the slicer code? I will be running video on next print just to see if i can catch it but its at 99% completion and decides to just ram itself into the front left corner. I couldnt get the print to finish as everytime i tried to hit resume or anything it still shot into that corner knocking the face off. Will report back once factory reset and calibration are done.

Thank you, I found that to be part of my issue as well ā€” printer selection in the prepare tab

I believe the issue is that the wrong printer profile has been selected prior to printing. Im a novice at 3d printing myself but I noticed that even though I preselected the correct printer at set up if I import a file to bambu studios to slice the correct profile may not be sent to my computer. You have to preselect your printer prior to sending your profile to your printer. Once I did that no further smashing of extruder into walls.

Mine is doing this too. I hope they fix this. It continues to miss my filament cutter and slams into the left corner. I am assuming this is due to models selected for prints in the cloud. Different size printers selected by models. We should have the option change it or the software should based on our printer.

Please let us know if you hear of update coming.

So is this a Firmware, Software or User error problem? Or all three!

Iā€™m just wondering which one it is. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I found it to be a Makerworld problem. No matter what profile I choose for a model, it picks the A1mini. I no longer use Makerworld since Iā€™m too lazy to figure it out or change it back with every print.

1 Like

Same here! I never trust an uploaded profile. I only download the raw files. Nine times out of ten I change the design to my likings anyway.

Thatā€™s why i asked the question.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll add to the chorus of people who have this problem. Iā€™m running 6 Carbon X1s, and only one of them is doing this. It was running fine - then a student tried printing a file with the wrong printer profile selected. Ever since then it crashesā€¦ and gives occasional Z-axis homing errors.

Does this offer any useful clues?

1 Like

This seems like the common theme. I wonder if there is something in the A1 gcode that modifies a printer setting.

Have you tried a factory reset?

5 Likes

Did you change the printer profile back to the normal printer?

2 Likes

I have a new X1 Carbon. Alle internal files were printed great. Benchy and scrapers etc. Fast and beautiful. Then I loaded a file generated in fusion 360 and sliced in bambu studio. Printer head went hard to the left, cover tiltedā€¦ Reset to factory settings and tried it once more. Same resultā€¦ Again reset and checked the settings in bambu studio.
And it was my own mistake, the printer selected was not the X1 carbon.
Save the file with that settings and all self created files are printed in excellent quality.
So if you do not select the correct printer the printer head has no idea where to go to.

I think @JonRaymond got it. I did a factory reset, and it now prints. So yes, I think if you print from a gcode file with the wrong printer profile that something gets saved on the printer, and from there on out it wonā€™t work correctly.

At least for errors brought on by the wrong printer profile, a factory reset seems to fix things.

1 Like

@BambuLab replying to my own conclusion here: The printer should not, ever, store base machine settings from a given gcode file.

It shouldnā€™t, but it shouldnā€™t even get to that point. It should error out that the 3mf is from a non compatible machine.

Thinking about it more it, the printer might have changed an internal setting/reference as a result of the initial crash from running the A1 code, not because of gcode changing a setting. This is just a guess.

6 Likes