Printer knocks off the print during bridge

I’m having an issue while bridging small gaps in the print below. Basically, when the printer needs to do the bridging, it goes below the print level and gives a strong brush with the hotend to the whole print. Sometimes it knocks off the whole print, sometimes it survives, sometimes it breaks a single part of the print.

these are the settings i’m using for the bridge:
bambu-studio_CeSU46bxuZ

bambu-studio_Tcnrb7pYGv
these are the layers where the print keeps failing:

You are dealing with adhesion issues, not bridging issues. The bottom of your print should be flat, not wavey as shown.

Clean your bed, dish soap and hot water. Don’t touch the bed as your finger oils will cause adhesion issues.

If you’re still having issues, add 5-10c on the bed temperature and add a brim to the parts with a “object-brim gap” set to 0.

1 Like

i know it looks like it and I’m going to do that right now just to be sure, but I have printed at least 20 times this model and it always does this at level 43-44-45. Once, I witnessed the crashing during the bridge printing and I heard 3 or 4 times the crashing happening.

The print is curved up at the ends, so looks like it is lifting/detaching.

If @JonRaymond hadn’t suggested it already, I’d have suggested: wash the plate gently with warm water and dishwashing liquid (don’t scour it). If that’s not sufficient, also apply some glue (preferably liquid across the whole plate). It is not messy, and makes a huge difference to adhesion and also eases separation after the print.

More info on glue types and filament compatibility here.

1 Like

well this is because the bridges are starting connecting the columns and due to thermal contraction (aka shrink) of the bridge material those columns act like a lever thus lots and lots of force is applied to the lower contact area on the build plate and the columns can become dislodged if there is not enough adhesion to the build plate surface. Think of it like those bridges being like rubber bands under tension snapped on top of the columns.

3 Likes

Glue and a wide brim might help keep the edges down on the plate.

So would more layers on the base of the model, if you can make it thicker without hurting the overall proportions of the model.

Hey, I just realized why the Parthenon has steps all the way around instead of just at the entrances - it was 3D printed by aliens!

1 Like