Printer not feeding Filament/Getting Jammed?

Hi,

Very new to 3D printing and our school ordered a couple A1 Mini’s and an X1 Carbon. The x1 seems to be working fine and only have one A1 set up so far, but it’s causing no end of headaches. It has only successfully printed one Benchy Boat (after I learned how to clean the nozzle out after it wasn’t extruding). I was so happy, but then it started having the issues again. It’s occasionally extruding when it does the calibration at the start, but then it has trouble knocking the little poops off every now and then. It will then go to do the print and nothing comes out. I’ve tried cleaning out the nozzle again (0.4mm) and doing cold pulls (think that’s the term). But I haven’t been able to get it working again.

I’m not at school right now writing this, but it does have a message occasionally about not being able to locate the filament). When I manually push it through by hand, the filament comes out fine. I should mention I have the AMS lite as well, not sure that’s an issue, but only have one spool on it (Bambu PLA Matte). Also, not sure if I’m the only one, but do the QR codes actually work, I scan them when there’s an issue and it doesn’t open up a page (just says loading forever).

If anyone has any ideas I’d love to hear them, thank you for you time and happy new year!

Jeff

The QR codes are unique and only read by the AMS unit.

Just got the A1 myself it has been working nonstop for days using pla basic, but when switching to PLA Matte I am having the exact same issues. Managed to get one mostly successful print, but after two days of trying I can’t get any consistency. After switching back to pla basic it seems to have no issues.

The roll is pla matte black, and after closer inspection, it looks like my extruder gears are shaving away the filament. I will be reaching out to Bambu lab support to see if they have any suggestions!

My new A1 was working flawlessly for the last week until I tried some PLA Matte. Now I’m having the exact same issues as the OP. I’m going to try switching back to my basic/ tough and see if this goes away as this is getting crazy, I can’t even load the Matte without it jamming the extruder.

edit: Swapped back to tough and had perfect prints again with no jams. I had just purchased 3 mattes and all of them jammed my A1; Black, Blue, and Red.

2 Likes

Did you guys make it work with matte filament? Mine does the same and it making me nuts.

1 Like

Same issue… impossible to print with PLA mate White (official bambu filament).

Any news?

Thanks for support

Ive been trying everything and I cant get it to work. All other filament works fine its just matte. Im thinking about ordering a new extrution gear to test. Getting quite annoyed with this. Even my old Ender and Neptune 4 has no problem at all with it so its feels wierd tha A1 cant handle it…

Hello!
I’ve used PLA Matte Dark Brown 11801 for three-quarters without any issues. However, I recently tried PLA Matte Charcoal 11101 and encountered a problem similar to the one described here - it seems like the nozzle gets jammed and the filament doesn’t extrude properly. The problem consistently occurs when I try to print “speed Benchy” from the printer’s memory card and it has two components:
First, the printer doesn’t even print the first layer.
Second, after stopping the print, I can’t resume it properly because the nozzle is blocked, and additionally, there’s an issue with “unload filament” - the filament just gets stuck and can’t return back to the AMS Lite.

I managed to solve the first problem by using an adhesive (Glue Stick). I agree it’s absurd to use an adhesive on a Textured PEI Plate for PLA, but it is what it is.
After solving the first problem, the second one doesn’t occur at all - with proper adhesion of the filament to the plate or to a previous layer of a different color, everything prints without any issues.
I have no idea why all this is happening and why using a Glue Stick helped me. If it was just a matter of lack of proper adhesion to the PEI Plate, the result would have been either a “huge spaghetti monster” or a giant “blob”. If it was just a jammed nozzle, no adhesive could have “pulled out” the stuck filament…
Maybe it’s about the “filler particles” in the black filament (which can be seen under high magnification and look very much like PLA CF) and how they behave under prolonged heating?
Anyway, try the Glue Stick - maybe it will help :slight_smile:

Here is the problem. The extruder gear is to tight. Loosening this screw will help. Don’t loosen it to little or to much. But this did it for me and now I can print all type of matte filament.

- EDIT -
It stopped working again… I will tear it apart to investigate further…This driving me mad not being able to use matte filament.

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I am a new mini owner experiencing this problem with ONLY Bambu Labs PLA Matte Lemon Yellow.

From what I can see, its not an issue of clogging! Everyone check your filament! After going crazy I just found tonight after a failed print that if you manually cut the filament and pull it back, you will find a slight pressure crimp in the filament. I believe this is causing the extruder gear to not catch the filament. It looks almost like the filament is wrapped too tightly around the spool in certain places on top of being wrapped over the top of other parts of filament causing it to crimp. This cant be just me!!! This is the only Matte color from Bambu that I have and its the only filament giving me problems!!! I had thought my printer was clogged since day 3 of getting it!!!

It was only tonight weeks later I discovered a crimp in the filament and lo and behold the print failed after this crimp made its way to the extruder. With my prints, the ams lite just stops feeding yet there is no notice of failed print whatsoever or even a filament break. The print continues without any filament actually being fed.

I hope this helps everyone shed some light on the problem! If this is really the matte filament having crimps causing failed prints we should be re-imbursed for our spools of filament so I am very curious on this one! Please keep me posted!

1 Like

Check your temps required for that PLA, it may need a bit hotter temp to flow properly. Not all PLA is created equal and finding the proper temps is critical also check your filament diameter if it’s to small it will not have enough grip and do the same thing.
Seeya
M

I experienced a similar issue with the latte pla matte. I did have a successful 8-hour print and then after following that up with a short 1-hour print the extruder jammed. Same as described here. It just seemed to have trouble extruding it. I retried it a few times and it finally pushed through and when it did there was a small puff of smoke/ steam that came out of the filament that extruded from the nozzle. This is concerning to see it might be a pattern with the matte filaments because I just now started ordering some after being impressed with one of them but that was on my X1. I haven’t had any issues running it in that printer at all. I’m not sure. I can’t really remember if I’ve tried it on my A1 mini or not though, but on the A1 full size it’s definitely had an issue, occurred twice before I tried it again on a whim and it was successful.

Oh and I forgot to mention I had previously printed a whole roll of the latte pla matte That I had ordered during the Black Friday sale. Didn’t have any issues with that role. It was not until that filament ran out and I loaded a roll that I just received last week.

Interesting, I’m having similar issues with PolyTerra (matte PLA)
Midway through a print, the filament will stop feeding. The printer keeps going like there’s no problem, but it’s just printing air.
I have to cancel, manually cut the filament, the pull out the filament and trim the end. There’s a spot on the filament where the feed gear has worn a semi-circular “bite” out of the filament. I can then reload, and everything works fine again, but the original print is trash, and I have to start over, because it didn’t stop when the feed problem actually occurred.
I’ve only had this happen with Matte filament, but it’s hard for me to say it’s the biggest factor, since I primarily print with matte PLA.

That’s because the filament is clogging at the print head. The extruder is trying to push but it strips out the filament and once that cut is in the filament there is no more push. Try using more temp to keep the filament flowing. Just because the recommended temp is 220 I’ve had filament that I had to push up to 230 to get good flow. Also print speed could be an issue. If your printing to fast the filament does not have time to liquefy and will clog. Try slowing your speed down. Silks and some non standard filaments need slower print speeds.
Seeya
Mark

That is the filament tensioner screw, it applies pressure to the filament pressing it into the extruder gear. I honestly think this is a speed problem for these specialty filaments, if your trying to print to fast the filament does not have enough time to melt it backs up in the print head and you’ll hear clicking from the extruder slipping That in turn chews up the filament and then fails for print. Try slowing your print speeds down
Seeya
M

Sounds reasonable. In my case at least, it’s got to be right on the border, more than 9 of 10 prints go through without issue. So, prob will kick the temp up slightly, and the volumetric speed down a little.

A note on this is that I’ve never heard the extruder clicking when this has happened. (I have heard it before with other filaments that had feed issues.) I suspect that the Matte filaments have a “grip” issue, and the gear just slips against the filament when the resistance is too high. Matte PLA filament is definitely more “slippery” to the feel than regular PLA.

Upped temp to 225, dropped volumetric speed to 18
Did it again, in almost exactly the same place, two hours in…
Which brings up an observation. I’ve never had this happen early in a print, or on a small print. It’s only happened an hour or more into a print, which makes me wonder if there’s a heat component to this.
Filament is definitely dry. I dry new spools when I get them, and keep them sealed with desiccant. Plus, happily enough, I live in a desert, humidity is not really an issue here most of the year… The filament is not brittle, In can crease it back on itself without breaking.

OK that is revealing that it is almost in the same exact spot, it could be an error in the sliced file.
I have a couple questions if you don’t mind
1 are you using the AMS or the External spools (you’ll see why I’m asking this is a sec)?
2 Have you loaded the file into another slicer like Orca to verify it’s ok?
3 what is happening on the print in that area? Can you show a photo?
4 When you sliced the file did you slice it as an AMS file or External?

Here is why I asked question 1, I think I found a bug in Bambu Labs Studio, I haven’t fully verified it but here is what I was observing last night. If you slice a file with the external extruder then try and print it with the AMS hooked up the machine seems to get confused. Not sure why but I noticed a lot of communication with the AMS and the print head kept moving over and reloading filament. Finally the print failed to load the filament I was using.

If the file has a temperature change based on layer height the print head could be getting to a point where the filament can’t flow. Can you print this with other filament successfully?

If your printing single color make sure you don’t have any other colors active when your slicing.

I’ve also noticed that if your spool has a warped edge it will cause the AMS to error out thinking the spool is tangled.

Just a thought
M