Printer thinks that there is an external spool

Apparently my printer believes that there is an external spool connected to the printer. I currently do not have anything other than the AMS. I have not taken apart the tool head but looking down from the top nothing is stuck in the extruder.

Any thoughts?

Are you using Bambu Studio or printing from SDcard? Double check settings to make sure software is actually using filament from the AMS.

I picked the filament in slot 2.

The error you’re getting now right now makes sense because according to what’s shown on the LCD panel, the external roll is selected.

Maybe you could try humoring the printer. Try unloading the external roll (that doesn’t exist) from the LCD panel and then selecting roll 2 via the LCD and extruding it a bit. Then try your print again?

Aside from taking the extruder apart I have tried everything. I got all of the filament out from the nozzle while still keeping it plugged in. I looked through the extruder and I could see light on the other side. I unplugged the extruder and then plugged it back in. I tried the suggestion of unloading the external spool but that did not do anything either.

Tomorrow before work I will take the extruder out and replace it with another one. Aside from that I’m not sure what to do.

If that doesn’t work I’ll have to submit a ticket.

So this morning I replaced the extruder and that cleared the error. When I took apart the extruder that I removed, there was no clog.

1 Like

You need to disassemble the extruder… you may find a piece of filament stuck on the side of the gear blocking the movement.

If you want to check the extruder clog without disassembling, remove the nozzle, add a new filament directly into it, and command it to extrude. If the filament comes out, it is not a clog. By the way, you may check if the yellow gears move when ordered to extrude.

Edit: a better description of how to do it:
https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/x1/troubleshooting/how-to-check-which-part-is-clogged

and on how to disassemble the extruder:
https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/x1/troubleshooting/extruder-clog

1 Like

Mine did this after the last firmware update. It acted all weird - started feeding filament from the wrong slot and then i tried to ‘unload’ and it went haywire. Couldn’t get it to load or unload from external spool (that i wasn’t using to begin with) - reset the printer 2x and then i went haywire. There wasn’t anything “stuck” anywhere including the extruder. Finally reset the printer to factory default and it all went away. No explanation…just what i went through here matches what you had.

2 Likes

I have the same problem

I had this issue earlier this week, and had printed some lower quality filaments. Seemed like that had “clogged” up the sensor for the runout sensor. Cleaned that one, and everything worked nicely again. Had to remove the controlboard on the runout sensor to do it tho.

1 Like

So I was having this error as well what worked for me is to start a print after shoving the filament manually into the hotend. Hope this helps.

I frequently encounter this issue with my printer, which is quite bothersome. However, I have found a solution that works for me. Firstly, this is going to be a failed print, I have tried to recover it but never can. I cancel the print it and clear the plate. Then, I manually home the extruder and heat it up to 250 degrees. After that, I take an extra piece of filament and push it into the extruder. I manually extrude the filament until it is captured. Finally, I unload it like I would with an outside spool. Although the printer thinks that a piece of the filament has broken off, it has not.

The fix for me had nothing to do with the extruder. The extruder was fine and I knew this because I could extrude the remaining filament out of it manually after heating up the hot end. I pulled the Bowdoin tube out of the top of the tool head and there was some green filament about 8 in of it that had broken loose from the AMS and was actually still stuck in the top of the tool head. So I’m guessing the AMS detected filament and slot number one But there was no filament really between that slot and the tool head until you got to the 8-in piece that had broken off. Once that was removed the machine no longer thought. I had a roll on the filament spool. The hall sensor in the tool head must have since since filament, but the sensor and the rear buffer of the AMS didn’t detect anything. So I think this might have caused my error. I hope this fixes The problems that other people might be having that are similar

1 Like

I got the same error too even though I have not used an external spool since I got the AMS.

The problem was a filament was broken inside the tube where it connects to the extruder.
The problem wasn’t obvious to me because I had a broken filament inside that is difficult to see. Just disconnecting the tube and pulling the filament out, and the printer stop showing that there is a filament from external spool.

1 Like

This happened to me after removing TPU filament from the external spool, no matter what it was acting like it was still in and not printing from the AMS. To clear this up, I loaded some harder material in this case I used PETG and heated up the nozzle to 250 and pushed in the PETG and pressed the down arrow to move the extruder gear forward. It eventually pushed through the stuck TPU, once I saw the (in my case white filament) new filament come through I let it run for a bit. I then with the nozzle hot unloaded the new filament and the bambulab read that there was no material in the extruder. Now everything is back to normal. I really really really did not want to open my extruder.

2 Likes

This worked for me, was a piece that broke off between the extruder and AMS hub. Happened to be printing with white filament so it wasn’t easy to see by glancing at it.

I also had this error:

1. printer had been idle for a little while (month +)
  2. It’s been hot and humid, and PLA basic was still installed from AMS. This was unloaded.
  3. Filament went no problem from AMS to the section where a spool WOULD have entered–hoping that makes sense. Meaning is that there was no issue with AMS
  4. After nozzle was hot, I fed in very dry (from a filament drier) thru the port as if it was on external spool. I managed to get the filament changed over from the old to new, but still had error.
  5. After several attempts to unload/load/restart the printer, I finally resorted to printing an object with PLA Basic from the external spool holder (you know, like a caveman would do it).
  6. After print, it seems to have regained it’s brain and all is well. I’m loading and unloading from the AMS with no issues.

Perhaps humidity/something else was on that “I’m unloading” sensor??

Hope this helps someone!

1 Like