Printer Won't Connect Fixed?

I’ve had that error a few times and I’ve been able to get it to connect by rebooting everything, ie. computer, modem and router. Don’t know why but it works …

There have been reports of the WiFi being … touchy or weak.

I’m not sure if it’s the printer or it’s environment. I am kind of shocked they went with only 2.4 GHz, but it’s a money saving choice and I’ve found 5GHz to be very touchy about distance and wall penetration, so there is that too. (I’ve been a Tech since WiFi was invented).

One real problem is we can’t see radio waves so we can’t see what the problem is in any environment.

If you have access to an Android device you can DL an app that checks signal strength like WiFi Analyzer or others that will let you see if there’s other WiFi that are broadcasting nearby and their strength in any given location that may be interfering. Signal strength isn’t the whole deal.

Think of it like listening to someone who’s talking normally while you’re next to a washing machine, you just can get it all.

There are many, many 2.4GHz radio sources around besides WiFi which that app won’t show (Microwaves, Cordless phones, weather stations on and on). There are apps for a laptop that will show those but they’re $$$ and require special antennas.

Sometimes the answer is as simple as move the printer (or router) a foot or two. It’s ultimately radio and reflections and interference are a real but unseen thing! :wink:

One other related/unrelated thing :grin: - Many people opt for a ‘range booster’ or repeater to fix weak WiFi. The vast majority of them (particularly the cheap ones) have one transmitter/receiver.

So they receive, then transmit, but not at the same time. This results in a stronger signal, but half the data rate! There are ones that can Xmit and receive simultaneously, but they are $$$.

A slightly more expensive but very much better system that’s now widely available are Mesh systems. They have 3 (or 4) stations that all talk to each other and the router and follow the device as it moves, handing off control to each other.

They also have dual xmit and receive modules so you get great data rate as well as excellent coverage. More expensive, but they will flat out FIX any WiFi problems you might have in 95% of the environments. They have more sophisticated software than just “send and receive”, they analyze data rates and channels and choose on the fly to optimize.

So, get an app and check things but remember signal strength isn’t everything, but it can help. :+1: