Printing ASA for newbs

I’ve been playing with ASA for a little while and after running into many issues and many failed prints, I think it’d be a good idea to post what I know. It’s really for the absolute newbs of ASA, as I know there are others here with much more experience and knowledge.

-Chamber needs to be at least 40C. Get your bed temp to 100-110C and turn the AUX fan to 70-80% If the AUX fan is lower it either doesn’t warm up or its EXTREMELY slow. Once it’s hot turn the fan off
-Nozzle should be 0.4mm
-Use the Textured PEI Bed for the best bed adhesion
-Bed temp needs to be 110C for Initial layers, and prints at 105C

I was using the 0.6mm nozzle for months trying to fix issue after issue ranging from bed adhesion, layer adhesion, to warping. If you NEED to print with an 0.6mm nozzle, there’s more steps needed to get a decent print. Slow down your print, a lot. I had to reduce all speeds by about 60% to avoid most warping. Set wall loops to 4 or higher to help prevent some layers from splitting. Be warned, you will have issues irregular issues of some sort when printing with your 0.6mm.

Fun fact, ASA works very well as its own support material. It breaks off by hand with only little stragglers needing to be removed with tweezers/pliers

I do need to test with the High Temp plate again, but the Textured plate has been so wonderful that idk if I’ll change back completely.

Happy printing!

3 Likes

I’ve dabbled with ASA before with mixed results, I don’t really need to use it so I’ve defaulted to PETG and the odd ABS which I have plenty of. Yesterday I cracked open a nice Blue ASA and it gave me a bit of trouble printing out a 120x60 storage box. My PEI was a bother so I defaulted to the engineering plate with glue, it worked a lot better but typically its left the residue I’ve got to clean up. I only bumped my bed to 95c but haven’t tried 100c, may just attempt that tomorrow :+1:

1 Like