Printing foaming TPU (Filaflex Foamy) - my first experiences

After playing around with Fiberlogy’s 40D and 30D, I wanted to go even softer and got myself some Recreus Filaflex Foamy.

As a test I chose CNC Kitchen’s corner bumper as it’s quite ideal for a softer print.
https://www.printables.com/model/369017-corner-bumper-tpu-optimized

My first print:
Printed from Sunlu S2 filament dryer
250°C
0,2mm layers
30mm/s
flow 65%

The print finished, but had severe underextrusion with some layers having almost no extrusion at some, causing the print to separate easily at those layers

The second print:
Printed from Sunlu S2 filament dryer
255°C
0,2mmm layers
20mm/s
flow 70%

The print finished, but had more or less the same problems. Consistent underextrusion was down but only a little. The intermittant lack of extrusion however was even greater

The third print:
Printed straight from the roll to extruder (roll suspended above printer) without any PTFE tube
250°C
0,2mm layers
flow 70%
30mm/s

This one I stopped after a few layers because I could already see the walls not touching

The fourth print:
Same as previous but at 85% flow

To me that one is spot on. The layers without any extrusion are gone and probably caused by the filament gripping inside all of the PTFE tubing from my filament dryer all the way to the extruder

So 85% flow is the way to go but that’s a long way from the prescribed 60 to 70%

Seems like the X1’s extruder is squishing the filament, giving an me a way lower flow rate. The weight of the part at 85% flow should be 6,8g according to the slicer whereas I measure 5,9g. Assuming the bubbles in the filament do not contribute anything relevant to the total weight, the Filaflex foamy filament is extruded at about 87% flow compared to harder filaments.
I would not have expected this because my flow rate multiplier for the Fiberlogy Fiberflex 30D is 1,03 and yet its about the same squishyness as the Foamy filament in its filament form

I hope this finds it’s way to people who want to try this foamy filament on their Bambulab printers because I could not find any decent real experiences

4 Likes

Have you attempted to adjust your idler spring? I’m planning on adjusting mine soon to test it, as I was getting a lot of under-extrusion and straight up slipping of my gears. My first successful print was at 1.1 multiplier, but I really want to get that down to at least 0.8

Bambu recommends using only the harder TPUs because of the exact problems you are having. They speak about it here.