Printing TPU with AMS

Bambu never put a blanket ban on just any TPU: Their wiki says the printers can handle 80A/30D or harder, and the AMS can handle 55D/98A or harder.

There are some reddit threads where people have listed brands/types that worked or not. I’ve been meaning to experiment with it but haven’t had the time yet. I noted from some such thread that I might want to try Overture High Speed TPU 95A, Extrudr Flex Hard TPU 58D and/or Priline black.

My use case is printing seals in place. I do have some CC3D TPU 98A but didn’t try it in the AMS, I might do so but to me it feels just as soft as Bambu’s 95A.

1 Like

Has anyone had success using 2 different external filaments and switching manually at the required layers?

I have never tried it, I am far too concerned about messing something up in the AMS and while the rear spool holder is not near as convenient it works for me. With that being said, a friend of mine has had no problems using Bambu’s own TPU (95A) in his AMS. He said he used a mod to extend the tube I think it was this one (AMS Saver V5 by madizmo - MakerWorld) but I am not 100% sure.

I haven’t tried it but I noted that you can’t insert a “filament change” at a layer for this. Their “filament change G-code” is made for AMS only so if using external spool it’s just a no-op and the printer will chug along with the old, now wrong, filament after no pause at all. It should be easy enough to amend that code with some conditional for when external spool is used so it works for both cases - in fact it may have been discussed semi recently on this very forum?

So what we currently need to do, is insert a pause instead. Very unintuitive design but as long as you know that, shouldn’t be a problem at all. It pauses, you switch the external spool and then you resume.

Taking it a step further, IMHO we should be able to switch between AMS and external spool back and forth at will, within a print. Even within a layer, not just between layers. I made a GitHub feature request for that but I’m not holding my breath.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I actually overlooked that and it’s an absolute top link!

Since the information are about the AMS and the AMS lite, the information seems to be really up to date so there should by nothing dusty that has been overlooked or not updated.

The follow-up information are also absolutely great too, Thanks!

By the way, I’ve been over it with Orca - at least the slicer doesn’t cause any problems with TPU/ASA mix with the AMS - but I haven’t sent anything to the printer yet (the printer will be working for another 2-3 days before I get a free plate to try this out :wink:

Shore 55D would be a very helpful start - I really have to try this out, especially for the adhesion of the first layer on certain parts. 95A are applications that I would very rarely need - I use 55D far more. Splitting properties and chemical resistance as well as UV resistance - although pigments can also change color when reacting to the environment. Whatever the case, AMS mit 55D would be already a huge step forward. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve not tried with TPU, but I’ve manually changed colors without an AMS using PLA, PETG, and ASA.

Simply adding a Pause at a layer used to cause a slight layer shift, but that may have been fixed. I’ve not risked it with recent firmware/software. Instead, I Add Custom G-code, which does not create a shift:

M400 U1 ;pause
G28 X ;home

With the printer Paused on my X1C, I don’t have access to the screen controls (Resume or Cancel are the only options), so I use Studio or Handy to make the manual filament change, and then Resume.

2 Likes

Wow that is a ridiculous bug, and a very valuable piece of information - thanks!

Hmm okay so a working option thanks Ikraus. It would be nice to have a hub option like the tie in for multiple ams, instead for an external spool and your ams, then u can have tpu externally and still ams filaments.

One of thw issues is the hub in the ams. It has magnets in hall sensora and tpu may not be rough enough to lift the magnets, it would get tgere and start gathering up. Also if it dose make it through the ams the hub on the back of the machine will cause issues with tpu. Tpu is just way to flexible to work properly in the ams

Now I had time. That works with Orca - but only in Orca itself.

But TPU can not by used in my firmware (Printer 01.06.05.01 / AMS 00.00.06.40) since you can select TPU in the Fillament settings on the printer but the Pinter will not accept the Filament typ TPU for AMS.

@BambuLabWikiTeam your Wikipost TPU printing guide | Bambu Lab Wiki is wrong. May it works (TPU 75D or harder in practice) but is not supported/blocked by the Bambulab Software as well as not on the Firmware of the hardware. If it’s due to the firmware I use, kindly add the usable printing firmwear version to the wiki.

Hi Hank,
Thanks for your feedback about this TPU setting.
We will forward your request to our appropriate personnel for future update consideration.

Hi Hank, thanks for your feedback.
We would like to let you know that our Bambu Studio doesn’t currently support selecting the TPU’s hardness. You can disable this feature here and it won’t alert you anymore.

1 Like

Do it all the time with TPU. Just right click on the slider on the right of the slicer at the layer where you want to switch, and select add pause. The printer will pause and wait for you to manually change the filament, and then you can resume the print. Here’s a model where I use this method:
https://makerworld.com/en/models/173604#profileId-190784

It’s been fixed for a while now. Was such a frustrating bug though.

1 Like

Whilst that will stop the alert, it still won’t allow you to print TPU in the AMS without disguising it as another filament, which is weird if you have developer mode on and skip the blacklist deliberately.

2 Likes

@PhillipM

Jups, the Slicer never was the problem since I anyway just useing Orca and it will accept it. So there is no and never will be a problem.

The Printers Blacklist is a Problem and this can not by skiped, not even for 58D although that would work… “but the Pinter will not accept the Filament typ TPU for AMS”… But somehow someone will solve it and not really my biggest problem in life :wink:

Which parameters will by finally used during printing? The values ​​set in the slicer or the values ​​set in the material selection on the printer?

Here’s the English translation of the provided text:

“You should know that TPU prefers the shortest possible path with as few gears in between as possible. Let me give you an example: TPU works better with a direct extruder than a Bowden due to the long distance it has to travel and the motor pushing before the path. The push upstream of the Bowden causes problems for the tube’s path, which, being elastic, risks twisting and blocking along the way. Instead, a direct driver acts immediately by taking and pushing towards the throat and the nozzle, but it only has the short path of the throat. This doesn’t mean that with an AMS system via motors you can’t print TPU, but the problem is that it has to cover too long a distance to reach the nozzle and must pass through too many gears, risking blockages. On a regular printer, if it gets stuck, you notice it immediately and can resolve it. If it gets stuck under an AMS system or within the motors, it’s much more complicated to fix the problem. Indeed, it’s not prohibited, but it’s strongly discouraged precisely for these reasons. If you insert it externally, it will only have the path to reach the nozzle, and the traction will be done only by the extruder pushing towards the nozzle with a short distance, as with a direct extruder.”

Hi PhillipM, thanks for your reply.
Please refer to the Wiki Notes for AMS.
Avoid using AMS to print flexible materials, including TPU, TPE, or absorbent PVA, as they may get stuck inside the AMS feed tube during printing.’
And we will forward your feedback on the AMS setting about TPU to our appropriate personnel for future upgrade consideration.
Thanks!

Hi @BambuLabWikiTeam, while we all understand that TPU can cause some trouble in the AMS, some TPU filaments are fairly hard. The TPU printing guide states that shore 55D, 77D and harder are supported by the AMS. The current blacklist is a bug because until you can specify hardness in the filament profile, the blacklist should warn for just any TPU, not prohibit.

1 Like

Jups, and TPU 58D is probably the most useful printing material ever… funnels, watering cans, birdhouses, the list is probably endless. Depending on the manufacturer: Hardly any layer adhesion problems on the printing plate, top UV resistance, good chemical resistance, impact resistant, frost resistant, risk of splinters (No defensive statement from me since the splitting properties are a damn sensitive topic, for example when it comes into contact with food, among other things. So everything at your own risk! Contact your filament manufacturer and follow his instructions )… and and and. Also parts made of 58D are no longer necessarily soft…

So the topic of TPU and AMS is right at the top of my watch list.

1 Like