Printing with polypropylene (PP) filament and Magigoo PP

I frequently see questions about printing with Polypropylene (PP) filament. I see there are some other threads on this here, but I wanted to share my experience.

The filament I use is Braskem PP - there are other choices, The first issue one runs into is that Bambu doesn’t offer PP as a filament type choice, so you must pick a different filament type to use as a basis for a new filament profile. I used PETG, but perhaps it would be better to choose a more unusual filament type, such as ABS.

PP loves to stick to itself, and nothing else. It won’t stick to any normal build plate (there are special PP build plates out there), and typical adhesives won’t work either. It will stick to clear packing tape, which is almost always PP, and I started out doing this, wrapping a smooth plate with the tape. The downside of this is that the print sticks VERY well to the tape, and it’s annoying trying to cover a build plate with the tape. It does work, though.

I recently acquired a tube of Magigoo PP, an adhesive specifically designed for PP and nothing else. The first several times I tried this, using the Engineering plate as a base, failed - the print would start working loose after a few layers. I was about to give up when I decided to try using one of my Lightyear G10 plates. This was more promising, but it took several more tries before I ended up with settings that worked.

Recommended nozzle temp: 220-240
Print temperature: 230
Bed temperature: 70
Cooling fan speed: 30
Chamber fan: off
Aux fan: off
Max volumetric speed: 12

I applied a rather thick coat of Magigoo PP, but this did work well and the print stuck. The part I was printing was relatively small, so I added a 5mm brim that I think helped. You could probably use a smooth PEI plate as well.

4 Likes