Problem printing nylon with P1S

When I try to print regular, generic nylon with the p1s, I am unable to get a parts with knitted layers. Basically, the layers just peel apart like a French pasty. I have tried temps from 260 to 290 C; Preheating the chamber; All fans off. What am I doing wrong?

PS:Good point. I dried the filament first

have you dried the nylon first?

Good point. I did dry it first. ( plus, brand new spool)

If itā€™s definately dry (brand new spool doesnā€™t mean itā€™s dry, so Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s not what you mean) - then what are you running for speeds?
You may be running too fast to get heat into the filament properly, although with 300c thatā€™s unlikely vs moisture.

I had it two days in the dehydrator, but I just realized the temperature was only 50Ā° C. Do you think that the drying temp could be the problem?
On the side note, I did rehydrate one of the prints, and it Still flaked apart.

For the settings, I just used the generic PA at the silent mode (50%).

Can you post a picture of the fail and/or a screen shot of the sliced file?

Layer separation is generally a case of bad interlayer adhesion. The first thing that comes to mind is AMS printing with an incompatible material at the same time. For example, PLA and PETG are not compatible and will weaken the layersā€™ adhesion if printed at the same time. The purge canā€™t be long enough to get all of the other filament out without being super wasteful, so youā€™ll end up with weakened layers until all of the second filaments remnants pass through.

Another thing that comes to mind from your description of the problem is ā€œSilent Modeā€. Taking too long between layers will also weaken the adhesion. Hot layers bond well together, cold layers donā€™t bond and only have a weak connection. Consider, running it in normal.

Good point about the speed. I will try a faster mode.

What do you mean about the AMS? Are you saying I should use not use it with nylon?
(Note. This is a single material print with no support).

It is a small part. Attached is the PC printed version. The garbage was picked up today, but I have a shedding one at work that I can post, soon.

50c is nowhere near enough to drive moisture out of nylon, 70-80c minimum

2 Likes

More so talking about mixing of materials contaminating the part, causing poor adhesion. But if you are only using one material that shouldnā€™t be an issue.

Most Nylons/PAā€™s are fine in the AMS, just watch out for the brittle ones. Theyā€™ll break and clog up the PTFE pathway.

I finally got to dry the filament at 85Ā° C for 23 hours. The prints still came out weak. However, I ended up slowing down the speed to 3 mm3/s and increase the temp to 300Ā° C. Cosmetically the parts look terrible, but when I flex the part, the break lines are showing that knitting between the layers is occurring. I guess I will order a different brand to try to prove out that it is just not a limitation of the P1S. (Also, I soaked the prints in water which improved the flexibility of the part).

Thanks for your help.

Thereā€™s still something weird going on there, I print nylon at 4x that speed and it comes out with great strength.

Iā€™ve only used the BBL Nylons, and like Phillip mentioned, itā€™s been great on my converted P1S. Beautiful finish, uber strong parts (Iā€™ve used it for a DYI CNC spindle mount), printing at the BBL profile speedsā€¦ I just canā€™t complain. But if the brand you are using isnā€™t as good, that could constitute why you are having issues.

There are no other good reasons that I can think of right now, that would explain the bad layer adhesion. Things to look out for in general are contamination of the filament (mixing of incompatible filaments in the nozzle), printing too slow (which could be a part of your problem), and poor extrusion where the extrusion isnā€™t consistent which causes poor bonding.

The thing that continues to make me think your issue is the filament is the poor finish. This just suggests to me there is something very off in the system. Unlikely the printer, as long as the temps are getting to the level that the system shows. For example, if the nozzle is printing at 250C when the system thinks itā€™s at 300C odd things like this could be occurring.

1 Like

I didnā€™t see on Bambuā€˜s lab site that they sell regular nylon, only the filled versions. Maybe the P1S canā€™t do regular nylon?

It tried a new brand gizmo dorks nylon. I had similar results. Still weak but the finish ant temps above 270C looks like the fuzzy mode was turned on.

Does everyone turn off all fans during your prints?

For nylon, yes, no fans, hot chamber.
If it looks fuzzy, your nylon is wet, simple as that.

1 Like

I hate to be dismissive, but this is not your problem. Its possible your description of the problem is not what we think is. Do you have a pic of the bad looking part?

I also donā€™t know what Pa I am getting. Maybe Iā€™m buying PA 11 and BBLā€™s Pa-CF is using PA 12 or vice versa.

The layer photo was at the generic default temp and the complete part was 300C. Layer adhesion is better but the fingers still snap right with little layer line knitting.

Your pic clearly shows that you are extruding too much filament.
This ripple look only appears when there is too muchā€¦
Try this for a change: The calibration mode :wink:
I had a very old spool that simply would not print good no matter what setting I tried.
After calibrating the prints came out fine.

Ok, I will try the cal again.