Pulsating 'grinding' noise heard when printing fast surfaces

When my X1C is printing a top/bottom surface “quickly” (eg, the 2nd, or 2nd-last surface), a regular grinding noise is heard, at about 4 pulses per second. It’s similar to the noise generated when the filament is “drawn in” from the AMS, but it’s definitely not the cause.

What could be doing this, and is there anything that can be done to quiet this down?

That’s annoying. Does the noise seem to be noise seem to be emanating from a specific location (i.e. the hot end or extruder)? Maybe the nozzle is making contact with the print as it moves? What profile/layer resolution and speed is this happening at?

Thanks for replying! I’ve not been able to identify the location; I think I’d have to part-disassemble the enclosure to get that info.

The noise does not change in pitch or frequency based on the speed of the nozzle, so I don’t think it’s nozzle contact.

One interesting thing is if the nozzle is moving a bit slower, such as the top-surface, the noise only gets a bit quieter, not slower.

This is all happening on the basic 0.2/layer profile, at normal speed.

Mine had a similar sound. Found out it was because it was a low resolution file and the printer was printing so fast that it was the head making tiny movements at warp 10, uploaded the file as a STEP file and it went away.

So maybe try that.

It must be a different noise. The one I’m describing happens with long, straight and quick segments, such as infill and solid fill.

That sounds for me like a clogged nozzle or max. Volumetric flow ! This are exactly the areas we’re you need max. Flow depends on Filament and temperature

It’s been doing this since almost the start, so I don’t think it’s clogged nozzle.

Max volumetric sounds exactly what the problem might be, since that’s consistent with the noise being present but quieter during slightly slower movements (such as top surface). I’ve primarily been using eSun filament, since that’s what I have a boatload of, but the issue is also occurring with Bambu’s own filament.

What’s actually going on during this noise? Is the filament slipping against the rollers inside the print head? Should I try fiddling with tension? If the prints come out okay, is this really a problem apart from the noise?

Has anyone else experienced this noise when, say, printing spools? It’d be nice to get confirmation that it’s just me, or not just me.

The problem is you want to press material to the Hotend , that the Hotend can work with (too much) you need to find your max. Volumetric flow for the filament .

More tension makes nothing . If the filament is grinding means it works . The problem is after the extruder . Print slower , print with more temperature or change the Hotend to test it.

1 Like

Update: On one print I had some spotting from a previous filament appear on a print. At this point the grinding noise has probably disappeared, which would imply that it was a partially blocked nozzle, and the noise is indeed related to poor volumetric flow.

I haven’t done a print with large areas of fill or surface yet, so I’m not confirming the issue is resolved. I’ll keep everyone updated.

Another update: I spoke too soon. Started printing a spool and the noise resumes just like before.

1 Like

What sound are we talking about? Can you make a recording of it and share it here? Otherwise all answers you’ll get will be nothing more than guesses…
I’ve read alot different possible causes here based on your description of the sound. With a real recording of it probably you’ll get more reliable suggestions.

Hello!

I also have the same problem. The printer prints fine, but driving long distances there is a pulsating, grinding noise.

It definitely has nothing to do with the extruder, as I wrote a GCODE that just makes the head go back and forth. The noise is then clearly audible. It doesn’t matter if it’s just on the X-axis, on the Y-axis, or diagonally.

The timing belt is not grinding anywhere. I even disassembled the housing. I suspect that the noise comes from the timing belt itself, possibly it has very small tolerances that become audible when running fast.

The noise can’t come from the rollers either, as they rotate faster around their own axis and are not in sync with the grinding noise.

Interestingly, you also hear a similar noise when you run the print bed down or up quickly via manual operation.

When I’m home later, I’ll try to record a video of it, and I’ll be happy to provide the GCODE for you to test.

Here is the Video. - YouTube

Ah, that sound. I call it the one-two-three sound as it reminds me of a waltz.
My X1c has this also. I noticed it when printing bottom or top layers at speed, even when the surface is much smaller than your test is covering. It is a constant pulse, not related to the distance travelled, but only noticable when printing top or bottom layers at full speed.

I also tried to investigate the cause of this, but was unable to link it to movement as it does not seem to be in synch with either the stepper motors, belts, pulleys, etc. I even tried to link it to the AMS buffer that feeds in the filament from the AMS to the extruder. But also there i could not see any relationship. It certainly has nothing to do with a clogged nozzle or something like that because my prints do not show any flaws, while the sound is always there when printing top and bottom layers.

But i also do not worry too much about it, since it does not sound as if things are really grinding upon each other, wearing things out. Though i still am curious what the cause of this sound is…

I was getting alot of strange sounds on mine. I followed the wiki instructions to tighten the belt and belt and it sounds much better. It’s also print better. Also check your hotend and extruder and.make sure there’s no play in it. Mine was loose out of.box.

Hello, thank you for the answers. It is strange, but also reassuring when the noise occurs in others. Still, I would like to know what causes this 1-2-3 noise. Since the above description, I now also always think of a waltz.

Possibly there are still some physicists here among us who can explain this. My theory is a slightly irregularly manufactured belt. One hears a similar noise namely also with fast up or down driving the bed.

Here is the G-Code to drive across the Bed without Printing:
M17 X1.2 Y1.2 Z0.75
G90
M83
G28 ; home all axis
G1 X128 Y128 Z10 ; move to center
G29.2 S0 ; turn off bed leveling compensation

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X250 Y35 F20000
G1 X0 Y240 F20000

G1 X128 Y128 F10000

1 Like

Thank you for the video! Yes, that’s exactly the sound I’m getting too. However, mine has quietened down a bit - for no apparent reason - so I wasn’t able to capture it quite so distinctly.

:grinning: Sorry about that.

I did not notice this sound in the z axis. I have to try this.

Never mind :slight_smile: I took a dance course and I can handle it well.

On the Z-axis, you can only hear it when you manually raise or lower the bed without pause via touchscreen. Therefore, my suspicion falls on the type of belt. However, don’t currently feel like replacing the belt unless I know for sure that it is the cause.

As I said, I don’t see it as a fault, but don’t find it satisfying to not know the cause.

1 Like

Followup.

Since doing a carbon rod cleaning, I have not experienced this noise at all.

Since the process involves loosening and retightening the tensioning screws at the back of the unit, this both suggests that it is something to do with the belts, and fiddling with the tensioning screws relieves the issue.

Of course, I have a sample space of one; the above may just be a coincidence rather than causitive. :grimacing:

1 Like