Putting a weight into spool centres

Has anyone done any research into the wieght required to hold down a spool in AMS to stop it trying to ride up as it gets empty? Seem lots of inserts to put silica into etc but no actual research on what weight is appropriate.

i grab a old decent size socket out of my tool box and cover the center hole with painters tape to keep it there and have had really good luck doing this just weighed the socket and it comes out to 7.9 oz so a lil bit of weight but seems to do the job well

I put as much weight as possible into it.
As I only use the inserts when the spool is nearly empty it has lost a lot of it’s initial weight.

I had a few problems with rolls near their end jumping about and not winding / unwinding properly.

Printed a few of those silica gel tubs and put them inside the roll centres to act as weights and it sorted the problems. I assume it’s a small touch of extra moisture absorption too.

There’s prints out there to hold AA batteries for the same function - they must be significantly heavier again .

I would suggest the heaviest possible whilst keeping the total weight (of spool, remaining filament and weight) below about 1.2kg,

For me - D cells weighing 134g doesn’t work reliably. Personally I am now using 500g weights, which I only insert into spools that are less than half full (or when I notice then starting to struggle).

Ps/ for reference, the 7.9oz socket weight mentioned above by @theman31337 is about 224g

My issue is only on loading and occurs when the roller drive gears don’t properly unmesh from the roller gear due to a combination of spool rotation speed (caused by smaller spool diameter when filament starts to run out), plus lower weight. Adding the extra weight seems to help the gear disengage quicker - see attached video that shows the gears not disengaging. https://youtu.be/n8W_D60OSxU?si=qBKit3V-pTEIY7Hn

1 Like