PVA dissolvable supports

I am attempting to print an intricate model using dissolvable supports. I am printing PLA with PVA supports.

I originally printed using both tree and grid supports. Both supports adhered to the bed well. In fact…they REALLY adhere. The problem is layer-to-layer adhesion of the PVA. The supports tear apart mid height.

To test, I printed a Benchy with just the PVA. While a little stringy, the model printed fine. No problems with layer-to-layer adhesion.

I examined the sliced preview and found supports are sliced with a less dense layer height. My desire is to print the PVA supports with a layer height of between 1.5 and 2mm. In other words, the identical density of the model. I cannot find the correct settings in Bambu Studio to achieve this.

Any help is appreciated…

Try to use the PVA only for the interface layers, not the entire support structure. It should be much less a problem then.
And I would also suggest to use BVOH instead of PVA, much better material, dissolves much faster and better and also appears to be more stable.

Already tried to use only on interface layers. Doesn’t quite give me the separation I need from the object, even with many interface layers.

Are you using BVOH w/PLA? I know it’s usually used with ABS. Which filament do you use?

I have successfully used Verbatime BVOH with PLA and ASA. I did not try with PETG or ABS yet, just had no prints where it was required.
It works very good with the AMS and disolves a lot faster then PVA, but might still require a of time to be able to remove it. A toothbrush speeds up the removal of the BVOH quite a bit once the support structure has come off.

Hi Thrawn, which profile did you use for the Verbatim BVOH? Generic PLA?

Either generic PLA or make a copy of the support filament from Bambu if you want the nice surface quality

1 Like