PVA water soluble support

I’m looking to purchase this https://us.store.bambulab.com/products/pva PVA water soluble support. Does the P1S have some option in the Bambu Slicer for the AMS to print the supports using this (or other) separate filament? I assume so but I cannot find it. Anyone have any experience with this product? I’m working on something with massive supports, this might be the solution.

Yes, but it sounds like the supports have not been “specified” or “painted”, if I understand correctly. The following two articles may explain adequately:

But don’t print the entire support structure using support material, even soluble, if the geometry allows (as in the support is not completely hidden in cavities, which is well suited to using soluble support).

Rather print just a support interface layer using support material (breakaway or soluble) as shown in the stock photo at Bambu Lab X1 Series | Desktop 3D Printer | X1-Carbon - Bambu Lab

This may minimise the number of filament/material changes and the wastage when purging, and the material cost. Much material can be sent out the poop chute when the nozzle is flushed between filament changes.

If the support is under flat surfaces (typically geometric “engineering” shapes) then this approach will work.

If the support is under parts of a complex, organically shaped object like a figurine/sculpture, then the interface layer only technique may not work as well or at all, and more support material may have to be used.

Also, there is the choice of normal or tree support styles, both of which can work as conventional breakaway support, or with an interface layer or as soluble support.

Part orientation can also help minimise the amount of support, or make an interface layer thinner by aligning the interfaces more horizontally rather than vertically or at an angle to the horizontal, thereby minimising filament/material changes and purging.

1 Like