Quality Assurance and Operations Update

8 Likes

Appreciate the update!!

With the official recommendation being to not run Extrusion Calibration when using a Texture PEI sheet, it would be more intuitive if the feature was disabled when Textured PEI Plate is selected for the Bed Type in the slicer. I switch between the Textured and Cool plates, and have accidently run the Extrusion Calibration out of habit.

That being said, would be even neater if the printer could just detect which bed type is loaded. It already has the ability to detect if I don’t have the Cool Plate detected and instead accidently loaded my Texture PEI plate. Rather than have unique slices for different bed types, would be great if the printer could change any necessary print bed settings based on the bed type detected for that print.

9 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. We will consider them for future updates.

4 Likes

Do not automatically disable lidar for textured pei. It’s working fine. I want to use it :>

3 Likes

@trolinka Ist does perform the Lidar thing, but the values it sets may be wrong or not good enough. In such a case it defaults back to standard values.

a chekcbox lidar disable under device like there is for bed calibration makes everyone happy and is easy to implement :wink:

1 Like

maybe but doesn’t have to.
It just works for me, different filaments and PEI and I don’t see the point of turning it off since it works properly.

3 Likes

According to the people who designed and implemented the system, it doesn’t. You think it is working for you, but do you actually know what is happening inside the firmware?

3 Likes

“people who designed and implemented the system” don’t say it’s not working, it says “may not work properly”. MAY.
I know prints is ok, pla, petg etc. from different suppliers. It means that something works there, maybe better, maybe worse, but it WORKS.

3 Likes

We would like to remind everyone that calibrating the extrusion on the Textured PEI Plate is to be avoided.

2 Likes

No, it should not be avoided. But be aware that it may be wrong due to the structure of PEI. For some it works fine, for others it doesn’t.

2 Likes

That is direct from Bambu Lab.

1 Like

Because the company simply does not want to complain later from people that it does not work for them.
Read various sources, a lot of people use and it works for them. If the printouts come out correct, what’s the problem? Let whoever wants to use it. It is noted that this can cause problems.
But let’s not force disable it for everyone!
It’s not forbidden, just not recommended.

3 Likes

When you initiate the print in the slicer, you can disable the lidar action or leave it active. As you like. If LiDAR doesn’t find plausible values it will use default settings. It would be better to use the calibration tools of the soft fever version in this case (textured plate)

2 Likes

And that’s just fine. Who wants can turn off, who wants can use. And not as someone suggested that it be permanently turned off when it detects PEI

1 Like

To add to that, if you calibrate a roll thats in the AMS, it’d be great if that information was related back to Bambu Studio and saved in the filament profile.

That way the values dont get lost, especially after a power down

1 Like

They need to add an option to set the manual calibration value for filament/unsupported bed combination, instead of resetting it every time the printer re-boots. Its impossible to keep doing calibrations on other beds and moving to textured every time you reboot!

On another subject your statement about plate cleaning is too vague to be helpful. For example you call out “detergent” but there are three chemical types of detergents and there are also blended versions.

Many folks successfully use Isopropyl alcohol with a lint free cloth, matching the Wiki method Bambu Labs has defined for cleaning the carbon rods. If the rods can be cleaned this way then the plates can be done that way too. In you blog you suggest their may be a problem. Perhaps related a Filament type? If you have this data please share it. Thanks for listening.

1 Like

I disagree with the logic used here. The materials are different. The usage is different. You cannot draw a parallel to these disparate things. All they have in common is they are installed in the same printer…

We don’t know if Bambu has seen any material deterioration issues with their build surfaces and IPA. Also the build Surface needs to be oil free for prints to adhere, and IPA can smear it around if not careful where as soaps/detergents are surfactants and will encapsulate oils so they can be easily rinsed away. I use IPA on my wham bam plate because the manufacturer recommends to, but I do so knowing the behavior of the solvent for the circumstance. I will also do a periodic wash with Dawn dish soap. I have not used ipa on my Bambu plates because the manufacturer’s guidance is to not. If I did, I would assume the risk of potentially damaging an arguably inexpensive component. If you want to use IPA - go for it. It’ll probably be generally fine. If you encounter adhesion issues consider washing with basic dish soap. I don’t think we need to challenge for scientific studies though. Life is too short to stress out over a $35 steel plate with a coating or sticker.

dana,n, Sorry for the issue of providing a usable plate is so troubling.
I did send the info over to a Chemist who I know and gave him the PLA filament as an example. I did not want to ask him to check all the the filament types. Given that no filament type has been called out by BL to this point.

The very short chemical answer is: IPA is the idea solvent for PLA. Choosing a non polar detergent will also work but it will have the historic issue of not being able to be completely removed it from the plate. I believe Dawn is a blended detergent so it has the non-polar detergent performance.

I am not a chemist my generalized repeat of how the cleaning works:
In all cases the cleaning is a solvent base method, there is no breakdown of the composition of the materials to be cleaned, which was suggested as a benefit of using a detergent.

My guess is that folks are having trouble with the cleaning of their printer plate which is more based on how well they clean and how often it is done. I believe that some of the print failures are from poor cleaning if not a lot of the failures.