Question regarding the RFID information and 3rd Party Filaments

I understand the RFID system automatically brings in the print settings for that filament. I also understand if using 3rd party filaments you can manually input the filaments information into the printer.

My question is this, is the printing information it brings over purely informational or are those settings applied to a part being 3d printed, overriding the settings that were chosen in the slicer?

The former. The filament setting of the AMS just helps to select the correct slot upon printing.

Gotcha. Thanks! I see when printing the test files, only the left slot is available to select from even though I have filament loaded in all 4 slots.

When slicing your own files, and when on the machine, does it let you choose which slot to print from? For instance, If I have blue PLA in slot one and red PLA in slot 2, will it allow me to select slot 1 or slot 2 come printing time? Or do I need to slice two different print files? (Im just talking single color prints)

Yes – at least on the X1C: when printing your own files from SD card or from the cache, you can select the AMS slot for each color.
Don’t know about the P1x. :man_shrugging:t2:

Just do not try to print e.g. a file sliced for PLA with PETG – that won’t work.

This is how it looks in the phone app – pretty much the same on the X1C touchscreen:

That looks like youre printing both at the same time. What about printing just one? Do you have the choice of printing from either slot?

If you have a multi-color design, meaning one object per color, you can assign each object to a different filament in the AMS.

As far as I can tell, the RFID tags just identify that the filament is Bambu, which material, and which color. They don’t change the slicing settings for that filament, they just pick the filament profile from the list in the slicer when you set which filament in the AMS each object should print with.

Not quite sure what you mean. Yes, this was a print with two objects printes one after the other with two different filaments. But that does not matter: for every filament used in the file you can chose any AMS slot you like – no matter if it is just one or 16 different filaments.

I guess I gotta play around with bambu studio. My laptop is broken and Im waiting for my new one to arrive.

My question is this, say I have 4 different colors loaded up in my AMS. I want to print a cube in a single color and slice it. Say one day I want to print the cube in one color and the next day print that same cube in another color, without moving my filament around in the AMS. Am I able to choose on the printer which slot to print the cube from? Or would I need to slice 4 separate files, each one pertaining to a different slot on the AMS?

Yes, of course you can do that. As I said before, for every filament used in the file you can select the AMS slot it should use. You can do that either on the printer (at least on the X1C – for cached prints as well as for prints on the SD card) or in the Bambu Handy app (probably for all printers – but only for cached prints). The only prints not giving you the choice are the pre-installed demo files.

What you have to bear in mind is that it will print with the other filament but will not make any changes to the print settings. If you try to re-print a file with e.g. PLA from another brand requiring completely different print temperatures, flows, PA, et cetera, then you will not get satisfactory results as all those things are incorporated into the specific g-code by the slicer and cannot be altered anymore afterwards.

Here is another screenshot from the app for a single-coloured PETG-print:

As you can see, I can choose any of my 16 AMS slots for this print – as long as they are loaded with PETG. All slots loaded with other materials are grayed-out and not selectable. You get to this „slot picker“ by tapping onto the little arrow next to the „A4“ or „A1“ in my first screenshot.

To clarify this further:

The upper part of each box tells for for which materials and which colours the file has been sliced. The lower part tells you which AMS slot the printer will use for the respective part of the model and which colour is loaded into this slot. Tap onto the button and you get the selection I showed in the previous screenshot. You may choose to print the originally green cat in pink and the originally orange one in metallic blue if you like to do so – as long as it is PLA as well.

I have 1 AMS unit loaded with 3 filaments 2 of which are Bambulab so info is automatically selected but the other 2 are esun and i get ? below the PLA for A1 and A2 slots and i cannot manually select them in the Bambu handy app … i have to got the bambu studio ie from my computer to do that… any ideas why?

New to this so probably a noob question but, when I put a reel of BL filament in the ams it recognises type and colour.
If that runs out and I use a different colour do I then need to manually overide the colour/type it brings up or is there some way to change the rfid.
If I need to manually over ride then I guess I will have to buy filament on reels till I have one of each colour / type i use.

Welcome to the forum.

I’m not fully understanding what your question is but I’ll try to explain what happens during a runout situation.

When the printer runs out of filament while printing it will either switch to a spool with the same filament/colour loaded in the AMS (auto-refill needs to be enabled) or it will pause and prompt you to load more filament into that spot. The AMS doesn’t check what filament you reload into it (during a print) so be sure that it is the same type of filament. You can load a different colour. Once the print is finished you will need to pull the “replacement” spool and put it back in so the AMS scans the RFID. The other option is to enable the AMS to scan each filament on power up and power cycle the printer.

2 Likes

Hi Jon. Thanks for the detailed answer and sorry for the badly worded question.

My basic query is, if I have a spool of bamboo red and it runs out, if I have a refill which is a different colour will the printer recognise this or think it is another red spool meaning I would have to set the colour and type manually

If the red filament runs out during during a print and you replace it, the printer/ams will assume its red filament (IE it doesn’t check for an RFID tag). You don’t need to change or set anything to continue the print.

If you replace the empty spool after a print completes the printer will read the RFID tag (assuming its a Bambu spool) and present that information.

4 Likes