Ready to try other filaments - Which are best?

I’m a new user, and as such I have been using the Bambu Lab filaments. For a beginner, they are great and make printing very simple. However, I would like to venture into other filaments that are less expensive, but just as good in quality. This is where I need some guidance.

What is the best filament line if you’re moving away from the Bambu Labs filament?

What works best with the X1C?

What are the proper settings I need now that the training wheels of the Bambu RFID rolls are coming off?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

The thread linked below has a good assortment of 3rd party filament option and opinions. Bit of a read but some good insight.

4 Likes

Price is the main driver here. I’m planning on making a larger quantity of prints and price becomes an issue. Availability plays a role as well, they take “just-in-time inventory” to heart. If you’re producing to sell, even in small quantities, this can be a problem.

Where you are in the world will affect what’s available to you too, so probably worth mentioning. I can get most Polymaker and Overture filament same day or over night in my location, and they’re usually my budget option if I’m not getting Bambu filament.

I’d say too about Bambu, I find that their colors can drift from roll to roll. I’ve had a few prints ruined because there was a notable shift in tone despite being the same “color”

I haven’t heard of any filament vendors you can truly rely on in this regard.

I suppose that’s true. I will have to admit that my experience with the issue is limited. I’ve had a good experience with Polymaker’s polyterra though, and even paramount 3d. Suppose that’s why I called out Bambu, although Hatchbox had done me dirty too.

I guess ideally one would make sure they’re using rolls from the same batch to try and minimize the risk of a big tone shift.

I’ve had really good results with Elegoo PLA + (and regular PLA). It runs on my A1 w/ AMS Lite without a problem. They are cardboard spools and I know those can sometimes cause issues in the AMS. You can usually find it on Amazon for about $16/spool for the PLA + and a buck or two cheaper for the PLA.

eSun PLA+ and PETG are a great choice. Good prices on amazon pretty often too.