Rear corner purge line printing off the bed

I have two X1 Carbons and the latest one always prints the rear corner purge line off the back of the bed. Doesn’t seem to have cause an issue yet, but it will start to damage to plastic corner bed aligner as the nozzle hits it and runs over it every time.

I would assume that this probably means I’m loosing some print volume and it must be offset to the back for some reason. Any thoughts

1 Like

Check your hot end.

The last two of these that I read, the hot end was bent.

Also double check that your build plate is fully seated in the notches on the heated bed. No debris making it mis aligned.

3 Likes

Build plate fully seated and flush all round. Cant see it being a bent nozzle as we are talking 10mm or so off from where it should be. Also the front flow calibration print pattern is set back by the same amount. It must be something to do with homing, but it does seem to go all the way into the front corner with no problem.

Theres a setting for print area in the printer settings iirc. Maybe that setting is different than your other printer.

1 Like

Look anyway. The others were really bent

Is your front corner test prints (lidar and purge) on the edge as well or set to the rear 10mm?

2 Likes

Problem solved. Thanks Sticks, you were exactly right, bent as a banana.

1 Like

Glad I could help. People have been able to straighten them out without issue. Try it.

ALSO - Check for damage to your poop chute wiper and actuator. Turn the machine off and manually move it around all 4 corners to see if it hits anything. Might have accidentally hit a print, but better safe than sorry.

The issue also had a knock on effect of causing spurious Z height offsets. The nozzle wipe before a bed level was not doing its job as intended, because it was so far back it was only half on - half off the bed. The dirt left on the nozzle then cause the Z offset to be set incorrectly during bed probing, which lead to poor first layers.

Out of curiosity I tired to bend the nozzle back by hand, its NOT easy and had to put it in a vise to do it at all. With it being so strong I do wonder how it got this bent in the first place. I will give the machine a closer look at.

Getting bent and hard to straighten is likely a mfg defect, possibly during packing if you got the AMS. Hard to speculate.

As fast as that thing moves, it still could have hit a print that lifted from the bed on a corner or warp, You should have noticed a layer shift unless it was at the end of the print, then the issue would have appeared the next print.

I also have this problem. Im using PEI textured beds from bambu and one printer purges right at the back of the bed. But it also prints ever so slightly higher than my other printer, so there is not as much squish.

Another shoutout to Sticks as I was having the same issue with my “test filament” getting extruded off the bed and sure enough, my nozzle was bent from a recent prior print apparently.

Thank you all :slight_smile:

Anotha one! This is the correct answer! I had the same issue and here’s what my hotend looked like compared to one that didn’t have this issue.

Hi
I had the same issue but in my case it was not caused by the bent nozzle (this is still straight) but rather heating bed not screwed tight enough in manufacture.
This caused it to move enough to be not aligned with the nozzle.
I followed only Step 13 of the Replacing the Heatbed Unit V3 instruction.

Unscrewd 1 screw from all 3 pairs (second one is having a cap)
Corrected the bed
Screw tight (not too much)

So far it helped. Will observe.