Recommend alternative to the Bambu Textured Plate?

Can anyone recommend a better alternative to the newer Bambu textured PEI plate?

I have 6 printers. Four of them have the older black dual sided textured plate and two of them have the newer gold textured plate. I am finding that the gold plates are far worse than the older black plates for adhesion. I can print anything on the black plates without any glue etc, but prints just don’t stick as well to the gold plates.

And yes, I clean the plates with dish soap every so often.

This is interesting. It is probably the first time when someone says that golden plate is worse.

What material do you use?

I’ve tried different plates, including famous AliExpress Juupine plates, but all of them are falling behind the OG golden PEI plate.

My rough guess would be that maybe your dish soap has additives, like hand moisturizer; those are known to mess up with plate adhesion.

I know, I keep reading posts that say how much better the gold plate is. But for some reason adhesion just isn’t as good on my gold plates.

I print with PETG almost exclusively.

I wash both the black and gold plates with the same dish soap, but I’ll check to see if it has any additives.

The next thing I might try is to use a magic eraser on it before I wash it. That’s like a very, very fine grit sandpaper.

I’d suggest against magic eraser. It is indeed almost like sandpaper and has the chance to damage PEI coating. Try to use 90% IPA and a toothbrush to clean any potential residue.

What PETG brand\color do you use? I did have some issues with bed adhesion on PETG basic from BL, but that was because of the dirty plate.

1 Like

I’ve reconditioned my Prusa MK3 textured plates by doing the following:

1. scrub with dawn dish soap and hot water
  2. dry
  3. rubbing steel wool ( Fine not coarse) over surfaces.
    • LIGHT PRESSURE in small swirls over the entire surface.
  4. clean with 80-95 isopropyl alcohol. Or, ethanol, not booze though :slight_smile:

This has worked a few times for me over the years.
However, these are Prusa’s plates. Everybody’s plates seem to have varying quality of texture PEI coating. Some good some bad. Bambu’s seem to be good to a point.

I end up using Vision Miner stuff because I’ve had some parts break free and some layers of the same ASA seeming fuse the to plate for some reason

YMMV

1 Like

I may have jumped the gun on this. After scrubbing lightly with the magic eraser and washing again, adhesion is markedly improved. I promise I had already washed before, but using the magic eraser seemed to make a lot of difference. I’ll only use that when things get bad, not for every cleaning.

3 Likes

Any of those special texture printed plates with the fancy texture on one side and the gold PEI on the other from Amazon or AliExpress will work better than the stock BL gold textured plate.

I’ve been using mine from before BL started shipping/selling a gold PEI plate and I have never had to do anything with it except spray it with IPA and wipe between prints. I’ve never touched it with soap. IT JUST WORKS

IDK why they are better than the BL stock gold PEI plate but they are.

Here’s a cheap one… Just read the reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFCSXVYZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3F6YG9AOSFKU4&psc=1

I have a P1S with Gold PEI plate and also have experience for several years with other 3D printers and build plates. I’ve been washing my build plates once a week with dish soap and after every print rub it down with 99% isopropyl alcohol for years on other machines and now this one too. Everything continues to stick well and releases fine when cooled. Be sure to use 99% though. Lower levels just don’t clean the plate residue. Just a thought.

1 Like

That is great. I never thought of using a magic eraser. I have a Prusa plate that is now giving me problems, I will have to try that.

I have those plates from AliEx, I can’t say they are better. They work decent enough, but gold PEI from AliEx has worse adhesion than BL Gold PEI.
Of course YMMV, but that’s my experience in my environment.
Mostly printing PETG, ASA, sometimes PLA.

Admittedly, I have no experience with the BL Gold PEI. I have a first run P1P and they shipped with the gray PEI texture plates.

I do have several gold PEI plates from AliExpress and some from Amazon and they all work better then the stock Bambu gray PEI plate. I am sure the AliExpress ones vary in quality and maybe you got some that weren’t so good.
I have never had to wash them with anything other than 70% IPA and have never needed any glue. I have never had adhesions issues with them what so ever.

That’s why I am shocked when I see so many BL owners on here complaining about the BL gold plate loosing adhesion a week or 2 after receiving it. And that is why I advocate for one in the link I provided. The buyers rating/comments for the gold plates in that listing say it is better than the BL gold plate.

I print PLA ~20%, PETG ~75% and TPU ~5% and they all work flawlessly with the aftermarket gold PEI.

I see where you are coming from. Yes, gray PEI BL plate is way worse than their gold plate.

Also I’m generally skeptical about complaints from other people, simply because it’s super easy to not clean and accumulate grease and dirt on the gold plate - it simply hides almost everything. So it’s natural to start see adhesion issues after only 2 weeks.

The ali plates are ■■■■ compared to the Bambu gold plate, way worse.

I have been printing with my P1S for almost 100 hours now. I have had good experiences with the golden, textured PEI plate so far - except when the filament was too moist… I get the impression that this happens quite quickly, depending on the filament.
I also recommend 99% IPA for cleaning. It works best for me. Best regards!